Advancement Project seeks a seasoned strategic communications professional and creative thinker in its Washington D.C. office to serve as Senior Communications Associate.
Advancement Project is a next generation, multi-racial civil rights organization. We tackle inequity with innovative strategies and strong community alliances. With a national office in Washington, DC and two offices in California, we combine law, communications, policy, and technology to create workable solutions and achieve systemic change. We aim to inspire and strengthen movements that expand opportunity for all.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES :
The senior communications associate will:
The candidate will perform the following duties:
- Assist with the communications of a fast paced, multi-faceted issue campaign on voting rights, voter protection and get out the vote efforts including partnering with the communications staff of other organizations.
- Work with a multi-skilled communications team to develop goals and strategy for a comprehensive, and strategic campaign that includes paid advertisement, public service announcements, public opinion research, national and state based media, social media to educate voters on their rights, help develop opposition to voter suppression laws, expose right wing deceptive practices and encourage people to vote.
- Assist with the development of strategy for advancing issues and campaigns;
- Provide support for a fast paced, multi-faceted communications campaign on voting rights, voter protection and get out the vote including partnering with the communications staff of other organizations;
- Work with a multi-skilled communications team to develop goals and strategy for a comprehensive, and strategic campaign that includes paid media, earned media, public service announcements, public opinion research, national and state based media, and social media to educate voters on their rights, help develop opposition to voter suppression laws, expose right wing deceptive practices and encourage people to vote;
- Provide communications support for other creative, detailed issue campaigns as needed;
- Write thoughtful opeds and press releases;
- Help develop creative social media strategies;
- Provide web content as needed;
- Provide logistical support of media events;
- Work with graphic design of collateral materials;
- Develop press lists and clip files;
- Prepare press kits and communications infrastructure;
- Prepare talking points and briefing materials;
- Outreach and relationship development with media; and
- Research and development of fact sheets.
Applicants should have fast writing skills; experience writing for the media, ability to multitask; willingness to work hard; accountability to goals; energy and enthusiasm for innovation and a commitment to social change issues and advocacy.
- BA in communications, journalism, political science or related field preferred;
- 3-5 years experience in communications (campaign experience helpful);
- Exceptional writing skills;
- Skilled at development of collateral materials;
- Detailed and organized;
- Able to develop and organize databases;
- Strong commitment to social justice, particularly racial justice issues;
- Familiarity with excel, powerpoint and other standard software;
- Results-focused approach and commitment to going the extra mile;
- Media relations experience with proven results and experience working with reporters;
- Experience developing and editing high-quality written materials, including: fact sheets, talking points, statements, etc.; and
- Knowledge of social media capacity and tools.
Salary is based on experience; benefits included.
Application deadline: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Advancement Project - 12 months ago