The Independent Evaluation Group (IEG) is an independent unit within the World Bank Group; it reports directly to the Bank's Board of Executive Directors. IEG’s mission is to improve development results through excellence in evaluation. IEG is directly responsible for assessing programs and activities; making recommendations to help improve the Bank Group’s development effectiveness; appraising the Bank Group’s self-evaluation and development risk management systems; cooperating with the evaluation heads of other international financial institutions and development assistance agencies; and assisting developing countries to build effective monitoring and evaluation capacities, systems and associations. IEG also aims to improving Bank Group’s work by identifying and disseminating lessons from evaluations.
IEG’s Strategy, Learning and Communication Department is responsible, among others, for supporting the DGE and IEG Leadership team in developing and implementing IEG’s strategic directions; strengthening learning from evaluations; supporting evaluation capacity development (ECD) in client countries, and increasing the impact of IEG through communication and knowledge activities in the Bank Group and the development community.
Over the past two years, the communications function at IEG has been integrated throughout the organization. As we continue to strengthen the processes and the structures supporting the way we generate information for our evaluations, and subsequently share evaluation findings through a variety of products and events for IEG’s key stakeholders, we are enhancing our outreach and engagement strategy. Building on a reputation of high quality evaluations published, today we use the full range of communications tools encompassing new media (social networking, multimedia), and a variety of learning events to maximize the impact of our work within and outside the WBG.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 2 year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
We are looking for the right person to lead IEG’s communication efforts, managing a team of 5 communications professionals and working with IEG evaluation teams and staff across the organization. The ideal candidate will be an experienced communications expert with a strong background in creating and shaping a communications strategy and a strong track record in running an integrated multimedia communications operation. The Senior Communications Officer will advise the IEG management team on positioning and messaging. A strong understanding of branding issues and experience leading a branding strategy are needed. Experience in handling media relations is also required.
The Senior Communications Officer will act as IEG’s head of communications and drive the strategy and implementation of a fully integrated multi-channel communications platform for IEG. He/she leads a team of five communications professionals, is --responsible for a comprehensive and fully integrated global outreach and engagement effort, the IEG website and a publications department--to maximize the learning from, and impact of IEG’s evaluations. The Senior Communications Officer is responsible for setting the strategic direction and overseeing the execution of the team’s work, and works directly with staff across IEG, through the evaluation cycle.
The Senior Communications Officer:
• Leads a team of communications professionals, providing support, coaching, and helping to set priorities and goals, and actively promoting professional development
• Designs, develops and executes the communication strategy for IEG and ensure that the strategy is aligned with strategic priorities, using a variety of media as appropriate (social media, multimedia) and consistent with the evolving communications environment, incorporating new developments and seizing new opportunities, including partnerships for IEG
• Takes the lead in the direction and handles all IEG communications, media relations, including strategic partnerships in coordination with the World Bank’s External Affairs Vice Presidency (EXT). Operates across IEG, working directly with staff at all levels, ensuring consistency and optimizing opportunities for effective communications throughout the evaluation process
• Creates and systematically maintains networks of communications contacts with media and IEG stakeholders . Interacts with senior management, counterparts across Bank's main business units, financial and political journalists, bureau chiefs, editorial writers and columnists, high level government officials, parliamentarians
• Serves as principal liaison for certain national groups, media organizations, magazines, etc.
• Drafts and edit articles for the IEG internal and external website, newsletters, and other communications products, including key publications and is responsible for quality control and consistency of messaging in IEG’s publications, online and media presence. Reviews all press releases, blog posts, publications, web/newsletters, features and announcements directly or as delegated to other team members
• Oversees publications development
• Masters degree (Communications, International Relations/Public Affairs, Economics or other related field) plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant work experience or a Bachelors with at least 13 years of work experience
• Thorough knowledge of, and practical experience in full range of communications approaches, tools and methodologies essential to planning, executing and monitoring communications strategies including the latest technologies, Web trends and developments, prior editorial experience , preferably in journalism desired.
• Experience leading teams, setting the direction, defining strategy and goals, executing complex communication plans that often involve multiple teams, establishing metrics and monitoring progress on achieving results, as well as responsibility for managing day-to-day operations, including budget
• Proven ability to think strategically and rapidly analyze diverse information from varied sources and an ability to learn, adapt, and be innovative as new communications challenges rise,
including taking the lead on highly visible and sensitive assignments
• Substantial and diverse experience in creating a communications strategy and in running an integrated multimedia communications operation and in achieving results on the ground
• Sound knowledge of disciplines relevant to development work (e.g., economics, banking, finance. etc).
• Ability to develop and tailor complex content/information into clear messages in an accessible way to different audiences
• Demonstrated political awareness and ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and to otherwise cultivate effective, productive client relationships/partnerships.
• Exceptional communication skills, strong writing skills, ability to persuasively present and defend controversial issues/positions and experience in publicly representing organizations, whether in speaking engagements or meeting with senior representatives
• Effective interpersonal skills; proven experience in working as both a leader and a member of a team.
• Experience leading a branding strategy and managing a valuable brand
Competencies for Communications Jobs:
• Communication in International Development - High-level ability to communicate with internal and external partners, based on understanding their communication needs and possessing significant experience with international development topics and issues.
• Social Media, Information Channels, and Communication Tools Awareness - Able to assist, consult, or lead others in assuring existing or new, upcoming communication tools and media channels are fully leveraged to assure proper communication.
• Access to Information Policy - Recognized as an authority in information access, and in the distribution, design, and delivery of communications products and in other information dissemination activities.
• Content Development - Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates broad, in-depth proficiency in this competency and is therefore able to clear for internal or external use material that is developed.
• Content and Style Editing - Has significant experience in, leads others and demonstrates in-depth proficiency in rewriting or editing complex communications products for purposeful structure, clarity of ideas, and the logical persuasive presentation of content.
• Communication Strategy, Planning, and Execution - Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates in-depth proficiency at a level sufficient to assist, consult, or lead others in the planning, development, and execution of communication strategies for complex projects.
• Relationship Management and Political Awareness - Has significant experience in and/or demonstrates an in-depth proficiency sufficient to lead and manage overall relationships with critical internal and/or external high-risk, critical constituencies to foster strategic partnerships and to strengthen the
• Client Orientation - Maintains client relationships in the face of conflicting demands or directions and provides evidence-based advice and solutions based on sound diagnosis and knowledge.
• Drive for Results - Identifies the needed resources to accomplish results involving multiple stakeholders and finds solutions to obstacles affecting key deliverables.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion - Shows leadership in ensuring the team stays organized and focused, and actively seeks and considers diverse ideas and approaches.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication - Leads in the sharing of best practice, trends, knowledge and lessons learned across units and with clients and partners, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making - Gathers inputs, assesses risk, considers impact and articulates benefits of decisions for internal and external stakeholders over the long term.
The World Bank - 24 months ago
Collectively known as the World Bank, the International Bank for Reconstruction & Development (IBRD) and its sister organization the...