The Contra Costa County Library is seeking qualified individuals to fill the position of Senior Community Library Manager. Presently, there is one (1) full-time (40/40) vacancy located in Antioch, California that will oversee the Antioch and Prewett library branches.
The County Library operates twenty-six (26) community libraries within a 750 square mile area and serves close to 1 million urban, suburban and rural patrons with an annual circulation exceeding 7.4 million.
Incumbents are responsible for day-to-day administration and operation of a community library. This includes responsibility for the supervision of subordinate personnel; development of material collections appropriate for the community served by the library; development and implementation of a plan of service; recommendations to County Library Administration regarding community needs and improvements in library service patterns; and the establishment and maintenance of direct liaison between the community library, city, school district, Library Friends, and local groups to encourage good community relations.
The employment list established from this examination will remain in effect for a period of six months.
- Plan, organize and manage the activities of a community library ; ensure the efficient and effective delivery of high quality library services to the general public
- Plan, develop and implement community library goals, objectives, policies and procedures that reflect the County Library's mission and services
- Act autonomously to develop and maintain relationships with City leaders, community organizations, local businesses, schools, service clubs and "Friends of the Library" organizations, and make presentations to these organizations.
- Collaborate with City staff in the planning and development of library programs and services
- Plan and prepare the community library's budgetary needs; develop budget justification for staffing, service and materials; monitor and reconcile financial resources for county and city, grants, and donations from community organizations, businesses and library friends/foundation organizations
- Manage professional level librarians, technical and/or clerical staff; exercise independent judgment in the selection, training and evaluation of staff; make assignments and counsel employees on work-related issues and take disciplinary action as necessary in accordance with County and department guidelines and direction, regulations or applicable MOU
- Manage task forces in the development of County Library policies and procedures, committee projects or special assignments and make recommendations; interpret library policies and procedures to staff and the public
- Assess community library needs and formulate proposals and policies to support such needs within the County Library and the community
- Manage building security and maintenance issues which may include surrounding grounds; evaluate architectural drawings to assess new library interior designs, layouts, and circulation needs, and make recommendations
- Anticipate and recommend computer technology needs and planning, including internet access and software, and web based research services
- Manage acquisition and collection development, including any specialized collections; participate in centralized collection development to ensure collection materials meet the community's needs
Valid California Motor Vehicle Operator's License.
Possession of a Master of Library Science degree from a program accredited by the American Library Association, or equivalent curriculum.
Three (3) years of full-time equivalent professional/supervisory library experience, which must have included experience as a Community/Branch Library Manager in a public library.
Four (4) years full-time equivalent experience working in a library, which may include two (2) years as support staff, technician or paraprofessional, and at least two (2) years in a professional/supervisory level.
All applicants are encouraged to review a detailed job description available at www.cccounty.us and apply only if they clearly meet the Minimum Qualifications as defined above.
NOTE: Contra Costa County is not able to administer online, off-site testing, and or oral interviews at this time. Travel expenses will not be provided.
1. Application Filing:
Contra Costa County Department of Human Resources
2. Application Evaluation:
3. Oral Interview:
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
County of Contra Costa, California - 19 months ago