In 1924 MFS® established the first mutual fund to help make the US stock market more accessible to the average investor. Today, that commitment to investors remains evident in everything about the firm. At MFS® we hire talented individuals and allow them to work together. Office doors are always open, and everyone is on a first-name basis. We believe the best ideas emerge from a culture of collaboration.
Using discretion and judgment, the Senior Manager is responsible for ensuring regulatory compliance on the part of the business units supported by the Compliance Group. The incumbent interacts with all levels of management to monitor for compliance with MFS policies, educate staff on new and emerging regulatory requirements, and determine the best approach to implement new policies and procedures resulting from new or changing regulatory requirements. The Senior Manager is responsible for analyzing risk related to Company compliance programs and for investigating, reporting on, resolving, escalating, and/or addressing any actual or potential regulatory issues and compliance matters.
- Designs and manages components of the compliance monitoring program, particularly the compliance monitoring of investment activities. This includes:
- managing available team of compliance professionals and/or working independently to perform compliance monitoring/examinations, including forensic testing, and report findings to the Chief Compliance Officer and/or senior management;
- developing strategic goals and objectives of the Compliance Department with respect to the monitoring program;
- analyzing and interpreting regulatory requirements (including new regulatory developments) to assess regulatory risk and ensure that the Compliance Department's monitoring activities meet regulatory requirements;
- developing monitoring/testing protocols, procedures and documentation standards; and
- managing a risk-based prioritization of compliance monitoring activities and prioritizing work appropriately.
- Advises on and helps implement necessary changes with regard to the compliance monitoring program, compliance policies/procedures/manuals, training programs and business processes and systems.
- Manages small team of professionals, providing coaching, and making decisions regarding employment, compensation and performance ratings.
- ensures work is prioritized and delegated to other team members, as appropriate, supervised, and completed within reasonable timeframes.
- ensures continual staff development, establishing and communicating goals and objectives.
- ensures staff is appropriately trained on current issues affecting the industry.
- Ensures that necessary compliance requirements are integrated with MFS' business activities and that all employees are aware of their obligations under all applicable regulatory rules and laws, as well as internal policies.
- Researches, recommends and implements technology-based solutions to monitor compliance requirements based on industry best practices and competitive intelligence.
- Maintains records (or systems which maintain records) in support of compliance program requirements.
- Bachelor's degree required. An advanced degree in accounting, law, tax, finance or securities and/or industry certification (such as CPA) preferred.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of experience as a Compliance professional and/or in a securities-related environment.
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong presentation and organizational skills.
- Understanding of investment management operations, including the roles, responsibilities, processes, procedures and controls relating to investment department activity.
- Knowledge of applicable investment management regulatory requirements, such as the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the Investment Company Act of 1940, the Internal Revenue Code, the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, FINRA Conduct Rules, ERISA, applicable foreign regulations and other rules and regulations affecting compliance functions.
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Outlook and Excel); experience with data analysis software (e.g. SpotFire, QlikView, MS PowerPivot) strongly preferred.
- Management skills and experience required.
MFS Investment Management - 9 months ago
Massachusetts Financial Services (aka MFS Investment Management) offers more than 50 mutual funds, as well as annuities, separately managed...