A Senior Consultant within Altarum Institute's Veterans Affairs Program Management (VAPM) practice area plays a critical role in delivering comprehensive business solutions to our healthcare clients. The current portfolio of projects include Program Management Office (PMO) support, quantitative business analysis, revenue cycle management, budget planning, financial modeling, performance measurement, policy implementation, compliance, training and communications. This position is designed to lead large federal health projects and develop relationships with new clients, strengthening current client rapport, and manage internal teams. VAPM is looking for an accomplished, talented, highly ambitious and motivated individual with a strong work ethic and desire to make a difference to our Veteran population and other government entities.
This position requires a significant amount of time to be spent interacting with clients, project team members and overseeing the development of deliverables. Candidates for this position must have management consulting experience.
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization that has been servicing government and private sector clients since 1946. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based health and healthcare solutions to its clients. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work. Our dedication to social responsibility is evident in all that we do, serving the public good with integrity and enabling others to do the same.
• Develop and maintain productive relationships with client management. Manage expectations of service delivery and direct staff to accomplish deadlines.
• Candidate will be responsible for developing project plans and resources estimates, monitoring and tracking project execution and ensuring budgets and timelines are met.
• Other key project management duties may include: planning levels of effort (LOE’s), developing project road maps, setting milestones, assigning tasks, setting objectives, and meeting contract scopes of work.
• Candidate will present project deliverables and findings to senior client stakeholders and practice area leadership, as required.
• Candidates will also help develop people, teams, and provide constructive on-the-job feedback/training.
• Candidates will contribute to an innovative and team-oriented work environment with individual accountability and ownership to the success of the practice.
• Commit to developing knowledge, continue to learn and share knowledge with clients and team members.
• Build collaborative methods to develop and share internal reports with institute peers.
• Build client relationships across multiple federal (and non-federal) agencies.
Prospective candidate for this position must possess the following:
• Bachelor’s degree required in Finance, Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field; Master’s degree preferred (MBA, MHA, MPH).
• Five (5) to ten (10) years of professional consulting experience with at least three (3) years of independently leading groups and project work plans. Four (4) years of Project Management experience.
• Experience leading large projects, preferably in a consulting environment, developing work plans, coordinating resources to meet deadlines for deliverables, and tracking staff contributions.
• Ability to succeed in a dynamic environment and produce deliverables within tight timeframes, under pressure.
• Excellent oral, written and interpersonal skills with experience and comfort presenting professional briefs and presentations to senior level management, clients, and stakeholders.
• Proficient with consulting and technical tools (MS Office Suite, analytics, etc.)
• Willingness to travel in support of project and business development initiatives. Be located within or willing to relocate to the Washington, DC area.
• Must be able to receive a U.S. Security Clearance (sole U.S. citizenship required).
Preference will be given to candidates with:
• Experience with federal healthcare systems, including the Veterans Health Administration, Military Health System, and the Indian Health System.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
• Revenue Cycle Management (RCM) experience.
• Prior Big 4 or other large firm consulting experience.
History of achievement by demonstrating the following:
• a high level of motivation and a self starting attitude
• excellent oral and written communication skills
• strong analytical and problem solving skills
• creative problem solving skills
• a strong work ethic
• team building
• managing client relationships
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit health systems research and consulting organization. Altarum integrates independent research and...