Location Portland, OR
General Position Summary:
Coordinates close and independently manages the overall consolidated close cycle. Prepares all corporate account reconciliations and related detailed account analysis. Prepares, reviews and provides corrections, if needed, to the consolidated financial statements. Performs the monthly SSI consolidation and produces the monthly financial package. Back up of other accounting staff as necessary.
Internal Control Responsibilities:
Maintains internal control at corporate location which includes understanding, communicating, complying with defined internal controls as well as suggesting and making modifications to the policies, procedures and controls to better match the business.
Communicate upward problems in operations, noncompliance with the code of conduct, or other policy violations or illegal actions.
This position operates within broad parameters and requires ability to work independently and apply accounting principles to solve moderate to complex problems.
Responsibilities include the accurate and timely preparation of journal entries for all corporate and certain company wide accounts, preparation of account reconciliations, maintenance of post close entries and related accounting records, first level analytical review of corporate financial statements and preparation of correcting journal entries if necessary. The position also includes working knowledge of SEC financial statements and requires preparation of consolidated statements of equity and cash flows and various footnote disclosures.
1. Prepare all corporate and certain company wide journal entries and reconciliations.
2. Prepare and provide the first level review of the corporate financial statements including preparation of correcting entries, if necessary.
3. Preparation of profit elimination entries and other intercompany eliminations.
4. Preparation of the consolidated statement of cash flows, statement of equity, and other financial disclosures/footnotes.
5. Maintain corporate CIP account.
6. Maintain a centralized filing system for journal entries and reconciliations.
7. Support requests for information related to the annual outside audit and tax package for Corporate as well as coordinate other reporting such as census and 1099 as required.
8. Assist in financial systems conversions as necessary;
9. Participate in special projects as required.
Perform special projects as assigned.
Physical Activities Required to Perform Essential Functions:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field.
- Solid accounting and analytical skills.
- 3-5 years experience including responsibility for company general ledger and financial statements.
- Working knowledge of Oracle
- Ability to build relationships and strong communication skills.
- Willingness to challenge conventional thinking for the betterment of the Company.
Ability to: lift and carry up to 10 pounds occasionally; sit for extended periods of time, up to 6-8 hours per day; write by hand and keyboard for extended periods of time, up to 6-8 hours per day; assemble papers, paper punch, staple, file; apply sufficient force to open and close file drawers. Ability to communicate by speech and hearing continuously. Communication is primarily by phone, and sometimes in person, with other departments within the Schnitzer Group. Visual acuity needed for close detail work, preparing and analyzing data figures, accounting, and computer use.
Phone and face to face contact with other specifically the divisions of the Schnitzer Steel.
Average office environment with little natural light. Some overtime required to complete deadline work for month-end and year-end processing. Attendance is critical during the first two weeks of the month and during year-end processing.
Closing Date N/A