Essential Job Functions/Responsibilities
- Sr. Cost Accountant is responsible for all cost accounting responsibilities including: standard costing of purchased & manufactured parts, FAR labor and overhead rate calculations, inventory reconciliations, costing scenarios, reporting and providing operations with performance information and decision support. Also responsible for month-end close activities including inventory reporting, production order closing, WIP calculation, and variance analysis. .
o Inventory valuation including variances to standard cost, measurement of variances and capitalization and amortization of actual costs
- Business partner to operations organization
- Finance organization process owner for inventory and cost of sales responsible for :
o Preparation, analysis and development of excess & obsolete inventory policy and reserves
o Oversight of cycle count and physical inventory counts with Operations
o Oversee process to safeguard assets against unauthorized use, access or misappropriation.
Education and Experience
- Own inventory and cost of goods sold related audit and internal control considerations
- Establish and maintain standard costs – verify new part releases, analyze and propose standard cost changes and maintain the integrity of standard costs in Navision
- Conduct month-end accounting close cycle for operations, inventory and reserves including verifying records and preparing account reconciliations. Close out manufacturing activity, inventory and operations spending and performance reports.
- Drill down to provide value add analysis to validate and drive down COGS
- Work closely with operations and IT to establish reporting infrastructures for labor and bus costing and play a key role in systems implementation and development
- Prepare cost estimates for customer contracts including preparation of quotes, supporting milestone billings, cost analysis etc.
- Maintain and update Federal Acquisition Regulatory Labor and Overhead rate calculations
- Provide finance support for the engineering change and non-conforming parts processes
- Support for ad-hoc projects as requested
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BS degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Five or more years of experience; manufacturing background.
- Proficient user in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience in documenting and improving business processes in growth stage company helpful
- Computer Skills- ERP/MRP systems experience required (Navision experience is desired), Report writing experience required (Jet Reports is a plus), Advanced excel skills
- Mastery of manufacturing costing. Skills in financial forecasting and managing COGS
- High energy, demonstrates urgency and self-motivation, ability to work independently
- Attention to accuracy and detail a must
- Strong skills in organization, communication and multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to present to senior management
- Solid understanding of business principles and practices; can suggest financial solutions with a bottom line result