This is a Closed/Promotional Job Posting
Open to current City of Santa Clara emloyees
This is the lead worker in the Customer Service Representative series. The Senior Customer Service Representative is a paraprofessional position in the classified service and is distinguished from the Customer Service Representative in that the former requires a high degree of independent judgment and interpretative ability related to technical knowledge of one or more of the following: utility billing, cashiering, customer contact center, or business tax processes. An incumbent in this classification performs the most complex activities requiring the ability to research, analyze, investigate, and take action on issues related to utility billing and/or business tax processes.
Specific job duties of this position may not include all the duties listed, nor do the examples cover all duties which may be performed.
With general supervision:
• Serves as Lead Customer Service Representative
• Acts as next level of escalation for more difficult inquiries from public regarding requirements related to the work of the division;
• Assists Customer Service Supervisor with operation of the daily activities, payroll, scheduling, and work flow of customer service employees within the division;
• Mentors customer service staff through development and application of training programs and supporting processes;
• Creates, maintains and oversees daily work schedules;
• Creates and maintains documentation related to the Business License function, including: applicable City Code updates, rate changes, and Procedure Manuals;
• Creates and distributes renewal forms and licenses;
• Processes cash receipting for customer payments;
• Addresses incoming customer phone calls and in-person/counter requests, as related to: Business Licenses; fees, utilities, and other customer inquiries;
• Processes mailed in affidavits for new and renewed business licenses;
• Investigates and pursues new business leads;
• Assists with Municipal Services Database management software;
• Tests upgrades, patches, and fixes to the Municipal Services software programs;
• Makes necessary corrections on accounts;
• Prepares analysis breakdown of billing computations for commercial and industrial consumers, providing analysis of how rates and fees are calculated;
• Performs the daily processes required to bill the City’s utility accounts;
• Negotiates payment arrangements with delinquent customers;
• Coordinates the delivery of 48-hour notices of intent to disconnect;
• Processes all deposit warning and request letters;
• Verifies and corrects payments not applied to correct accounts;
• Dispatches utility field personnel to reinstate customer's utility service after payment has been received;
• Refers customers to various agencies which offer financial or care assistance;
• Prepares customer correspondence related to business tax, billing issues, and adjustments;
• Keeps customers informed about the status of changes related to their tax or utility accounts;
• Coordinates with other City departments such as Fire, Police, Water and Sewer, Electric, Street, Planning, and City Manager’s Office;
• Ensures that each applicant has met all the requirements of the various departments before issuing a business tax certificate or opening a utility account;
• Interprets City codes and/or utility rates as they relate to Municipal Services tax and utility billing requirements;
• Prepares statistical reports; and
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Minimum Education Requirements:
• Graduation from high school or possession of a GED.
Minimum Experience Requirements:
• One (1) year experience as a Customer Service Representative in a public and/or governmental agency working with one or more of the following: final notice billings, utility billing processes, business tax processes, interpretation of codes, or credit and collection activities; and
• Personal computer experience working with spreadsheets, word processing, and online utility billing programs is required.
• Experience as a Customer Service Representative for the City of Santa Clara is desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Customer service principles and procedures;
• Credit, collection, and deposit procedures;
• Technical system and application software;
• Word processing and/or electronic spreadsheet applications, methods, practices, and terminology used in financial record keeping;
• Comprehensive report writing techniques; and
• Office safety practices, procedures and standards
• Organize daily work schedules efficiently;
• Work independently;
• Deal professionally, tactfully, and courteously with the general public and other employees;
• Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing;
• Interpret and explain utility rate schedules and computations;
• Handle customer inquiries related to Business Tax billing issues and adjustments;
• Assimilate and understand information and make sound decisions in resolving customer related problems and issues;
• Provide excellent customer service to the public and City staff;
• Work in a team based environment and achieve common goals;
• Effectively handle multiple priorities, organize workload and meet strict deadlines;
• Establish and maintain a cooperative working relationship with those contacted in the course of work, including coworkers and the general public;
• Sit or stand for extended periods of time and bend, stoop, reach, lift, drag, and carry as necessary to perform assigned duties.
Application Packets Must Include:
1) City Employment Application,
3) Letter of Interest and Intent, and
4) Supplemental Application
Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Please do not substitute “see resume” or “see personnel file” in the employment history section of the application. A completed City employment application packet must be received by the Human Resources Department, City Hall, 1500 Warburton Ave., Santa Clara, CA, 95050 no later than 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, April 10, 2013. Candidates are encouraged to apply online at www.santaclaraca.gov . If not applying online, applications may be faxed to (408) 247-5627 or e-mailed to HumanResources@santaclaraca.gov .
City of Santa Clara, CA - 15 months ago