About the Position:
SunGard’s Continuity Management Solution (CMS) is an integrated software platform offering flexible modules that support the entire Business Continuity Planning lifecycle powered by the knowledge captured from our years of deep planning expertise. SunGard is the leader in this space and you can be a part of the ongoing success in bringing these solutions to market.
As the Database Architect, your primary role is to engineer high-volume transactional databases working as part of the software development team. The team’s focus is to drive the evolution and design of innovative solutions to address the needs of SunGard Availability Service’s customers. You will be responsible for influencing all database design choices and technologies used in the building an enterprise wide solution. This includes designing and developing database schemas and procedures to insure maximum quality, performance, scalability, and maintainability; proactively evaluating new technologies and defining and promoting technical standards and best practices.
You will work with the development team throughout the full software development life cycle including participating in code reviews and assessing unit testing strategies. Strong communication and collaboration skills are required to work effectively with teams across the organization as well as to mentor others within the software development group. The ability to work with support, business, and operations teams to provide prompt solutions to real-time issues is essential.
• Operate as lead Database Architect within a team of Sr. Software Engineers, each with individual specializations focused on creating a coherent and advanced architecture and offering
• Create procedures to ensure that the data-driven needs of the organization are secure, scalable, reliable and high performing.
• Work with Product Management to understand the business requirements.
• Develop new approaches to complex design problems.
• Decide on the data architecture that meets the business needs; provide a data model from requirements and translate the model into a working relational database, data warehouse and/or other data-driven system
• Responsible for identifying performance tactics (indexing, concurrency, views, query optimization, query strategies)
• Work with the team implementing a data warehouse and associated dashboards utilizing ETL concepts
• Review and recommend emerging data storage technologies to accommodate growth.
• Review the relevancy of current implementations and makes recommendations for change if necessary.
• Develop and maintain database standards and naming conventions
• Provides guidance to the database administrator to accomplish goals
• Work in a dynamic environment, managing multiple priorities, commitments, and projects with minimal supervision.
• Perform on-call support by providing responses to high priority requests for assistance by the 24/7 support team. Provide after hours and weekend support as needed.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science required, Master Degree preferred.
• 7+ years software development experience
• 5+ years of Microsoft SQL Database architecture, design and optimization. The experience should include advanced skills in data modeling and the translation of the model into a high performance physical database design.
• Experience with large design efforts working within cross-functional project teams.
• Demonstrated architected experience creating a high volume database for enterprise grade solutions including:
o Identification of data model tactics to support the evolution of the model to support future requirements
o Identification of migration tactics to support upgrades
• Demonstrate best use of data modeling tools and views to allow the architecture to be communicated to different levels of technical expertise in the organization.
• Experience in .Net and JAVA frameworks; must be willing to demonstrate expertise through technical discussions.
• Knowledge and experience working with Agile development methodologies and Cloud Computing concepts and designs.
• Knowledgeable with virtualization techniques and technologies to facilitate the development of highly scalable, multi-tenant SaaS offerings
• Strong knowledge and experience with database security practices, backup and recovery tactics and performance monitoring.
• Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Experience working with offshore teams and usability teams.
• Strong communicator with experience presenting technical topics in a business-oriented fashion to non-technical audiences.
• Candidates with the following Microsoft Certifications will be a strong plus.
o Microsoft Certified IT Professional - Database Developer 2008
o Microsoft Certified IT Professional - Database Administrator 2008
• Microsoft Certified Architect: Microsoft SQL Server