Responsible for planning, developing and maintaining the client/server database environment. Also, responsible for maintaining the integrity of the databases, balancing resource utilization and maximizing performance.
Essential Job Functions
Monitor database and tune performance of databases.
Run developed scripts and third party monitoring tools against database.
Plan, develop, maintain, client/server database environment.
Establish standards for database installations and for the creation and use of database structures and database server resources.
Establish and maintain security controls for all database access.
Investigate recurring and related failures/inefficiencies by reviewing system logs, dumps
and other information from clients or technical personnel.
Identify trends and source of problem(s), and recommend/initiate corrective action.
Create database storage structures and objects for in-house applications.
Assist in the conversion of current Oracle/SQL Server databases to new database structures for applications.
Maintain current technical knowledge and attain certifications.
Provide assistance for lower level database administrators.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer related field
- 5 to 7 years experience in Oracle and SQL Server administration, support and installation
- Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA), or Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) SQL Server certification preferred, not required
Licenses & Certifications
- Comprehensive knowledge of system operations
- Skill in independent judgment
- Ability to effectively apply decision-making skills
- Ability to work efficiently with others
Oracle Certified Professional
Microsoft Certified Database Administrator (MCDBA), or Microsoft Certified Solutions Associate (MCSA) SQL Server certification preferred, not required
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
Four-year college degree
5 years experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.