You'll be at the front lines of the Illumina big data genomics platform ensuring that our services are scalable and resilient to failure. You'll also be exploring opportunities to improve performance and capacity and you'll find yourself leading projects critical to scaling genomics and health analytics platforms growing from billions to trillions of database rows.
There's a tremendously long list of new features, technologies, and customers set to come online this year. Combined with our growth plans to establish a global federated footprint, your work will have a big impact on the company and help change the course of human health.
Requirements & Education
- Work with engineers on performance tuning, query optimization, index tuning
- Provide education and development assistance for engineers to aide in identifying low level database concerns before they turn into large scale issues
- Monitor databases for problems and to diagnose where those problems are
- Work with senior engineers to maintain a scalable, reliable, and robust database environment
- Build database tools and scripts to automate where possible
- Test and improve backup and restore processes
- Prototype and test new system images including MySQL, Linux and different hardware configurations
- Support MySQL databases for production and development
- DB security controls implementation and enforcement
- Maintain a runbook for other DBAs and operations team members
- Provide rotating 24x7 on-call support.
- 5-7 years’ relational database experience.
2 years’ experience as a MySQL DBA in a SAAS environment.
2 years’ experience with data sharding
- Proficient with database performance strategies
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Design of high availability database systems
- Experience with MySQL Replication, with both Master-Slave and Master-Master replication
- Proven experience in data warehousing
- Proficient tuning MySQL processes and queries
- Ability to work cooperatively with software engineers and system administrators.
- Excellent communication skills
- Exceptional problem-solving expertise and attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, or related field
- Master’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Information Systems, Mathematics, Engineering, or related field
- Experience with multi-datacenter MySQL replication
- Experience with Monyog or other database monitoring tools
- Knowledge of NoSql database technology
- Skills in infrastructure capacity planning and recommendation
- Postgres experience is a plus
- Life Sciences experience
Illumina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
) is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of life science tools and integrated systems for the analysis of genetic variation and function. We provide innovative sequencing and array-based solutions for genotyping, copy number variation analysis, methylation studies, gene expression profiling, and low-multiplex analysis of DNA, RNA, and protein. We also provide tools and services that are fueling advances in consumer genomics and diagnostics. Our technology and products accelerate genetic analysis research and its application, paving the way for molecular medicine and ultimately transforming healthcare.
Illumina, Inc. - 9 months ago
Illumina elucidates the human genome. The firm makes tools used by life sciences and drug researchers to isolate and analyze...