Be part of something innovative and cutting edge.
Join our team of more than a hundred software engineers, designers, project managers and software specialists that are smart, creative and excited by what they do.
Some of our ground-breaking work includes:
• advanced computer-adaptive algorithms (only one that’s peer-approved in the country)
• mobile support for the user interfaces
• learning management systems with social media features
• user interfaces that are universally accessible to people with or without disabilities
• innovative, machine-scorable items
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm with a growing software engineering and product development team. We design and build things that are inspiring and make a real impact in the online testing industry. We are currently seeking a Senior Database Engineer for our Washington, D.C. (Georgetown) office.
The Senior Database Engineer will be responsible for the installation and maintenance of SQL Server databases to include implementation of new data schema, fields, or data values; backup and restore of databases; monitoring and troubleshooting database issues; and configuring and testing new database features for new releases. Will be a Subject Matter Expert (SME) and responsible for providing leadership in Database Administration to all cross functions in the department.
-Maintain database support documentation.
-Upgrade equipment to current software releases.
-Maintain system currency with technology (hardware and software).
-Provide end user database support.
-Monitor database system performance and suggest optimizations as needed.
-Assist in support for resolving system malfunctions.
-Purchasing of new equipment as required.
-Integrate new equipment, database software, and system software as it is purchased.
-Provide low-level support to engineering team
-Work with Architects and lead developers to come up with optimal database design
-Will support development staff by tuning SQL queries for maximum performance
- B.S. in Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related discipline and 10+ years related experience.
- Minimum 5 years experience administering and maintaining replicated Microsoft SQL Server databases in a distributed production environment, reporting experience a plus. Prefer SQL Server 2005 experience on Windows 2003 operating system. Experience with tools such as ERWIN or Embarcadero is a plus.
- Minimum 3 years of production DBA experience including development, test and production database environments.
- Experience with Microsoft environment and tools, such as Enterprise Manager, Query Analyzer, and Profiler required.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL language. Ability to write and deploy effective triggers, stored procedures and user defined functions.
- Ability to perform SQL query optimization. Must know query optimization tools, query plan analysis, techniques for finding inefficient queries. Experience with DTS Packages, jobs, query planning and optimization tools.
- Proven ability to work with large (20 GB+ in size) databases: includes knowledge of partitioned data storage, techniques for optimal loading of large data sets, and how large data volume affects replication in SQL Server environment
- Thorough understanding of best practices for database maintenance, including index and file management, backups, failure recovery, database defragmentation, documentation. Ability to analyze disk space requirements and hardware utilization, automate error notification.
- Experience with database auditing techniques.
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...