NOOK Media is a global and exciting new company, jointly owned by Barnes & Noble and Microsoft, with the mission of changing how people read and learn in the future. A subsidiary of Barnes & Noble, one of the nation's most beloved and recognizable brands and a Fortune 500 Company, and with strong backing from Microsoft, NOOK Media is well capitalized to seize the incredible growth opportunity in the nascent digital content market. Sales of digital content in the consumer and education segments worldwide are set to explode, at an average growth rate of over 40% per year over the next 10 years, as people shift from reading and learning on paper to digital. NOOK Media is emerging as a leader in this fast-growing market, enjoying over 25% market share in digital books and magazines in the US alone. With its preferred relationships with publishers, unique ability to reach readers and students, and award winning digital reading and learning platform in the NOOK brand, NOOK Media is well positioned to thrive as an important digital content and technology company.
The Company has invested over $50 million to build a beautiful new campus in the historic Xerox PARC in the foothills of Palo Alto, California, that will be completed in February 2013. NOOK Media's New York City office is located in Chelsea, one of Manhattan's most exciting neighborhoods. NOOK Media has a unique culture that enjoys the open and entrepreneurial feel of a start-up, combined with deep backing and resources of a $3B growth company. NOOK Media has also experienced tremendous growth, adding new talent to our team at a rate of 65% year over year.
The Senior Database Marketing Analyst will play an integral role in supporting the Retention/Customer Marketing team's infrastructure and automation projects.
As the data expert, you will work with the Marketing Strategy and Business Intelligence (Data Warehouse) teams to design procedures, queries and pull data sets that result in successful email marketing campaigns that lift spend on the website.
Specifically, you will use your SQL skills, a deep understanding of our customer data, and retention/email marketing strategies, and project management skills to deliver clean and precise behavioral data sets for segmentation analysis, test and direct email campaigns.
- Maintain daily imports/exports, ensure system speed and stability and plan for scalability.
- Work with the Business Intelligence team to identify and resolve database and data warehouse system issues that impede data extraction, manipulation and interpretation.
- Create processes and scripts to improve the speed and efficiency of data extraction for direct marketing campaigns, resulting in the Retention Marketing team's increased responsiveness to customer shopping behavior on the site.
- Work with Marketing Operations to ensure the successful launch of robust campaigns to millions of customers.
- Advise Retention Marketing Strategy team and Senior Management on the breadth of customer data available resulting in more effective campaigns.
- Assist in the design, development and execution of periodic reporting around customer behaviors and characteristics.
- Hold a relentless passion to help us continue to make reading more accessible and learning better by developing your ideas in a startup-like atmosphere (with the power of a Fortune 500 company behind you all the way).
- This is an ideal role for a savvy marketer with good database skills or a database engineer with a passion for customer marketing and a healthy respect for the importance of detailed and accurate data to the success of direct marketing campaigns
- 3+ years of experience with a Direct Marketing/Retention Marketing division of a top-tier interactive agency, retail/eCommerce or media company with a high-volume B2C customer retention marketing program.
- Advanced understanding of relational database tables and data structures. Expertise and experience writing SQL statements for data extraction and/or reports.
- Experience with at least one coding language; preferably Python, PHP, Visual Basic, C++ or Java
- Experience with statistical tools (i.e., SAS, SPSS) or web/marketing program analytic tools (i.e., Coremetrics, Omniture) a plus, but not required.
- BA/BS with outstanding academic achievement. Open to all academic fields of study with a preference Marketing/Management, Economics, Mathematics, Statistics or other technical discipline (i.e., Computer Science).
- Ability to balance the needs of multiple stakeholders in a matrixed environment.
- Ability to work effectively in an entrepreneurial environment, to "fill in the blanks" with points of view, and to round out an "A" team of talented people that value team productivity and results over ego.
Barnes and Noble is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer
Barnes & Noble, Inc. (NYSE:BKS) is a Fortune 500 company and the leading retailer of content, digital media and educational products. We...