Reporting to the Director of Individual and Major Gifts and working from our New York City Office off of Wall Street, the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts position is responsible for managing the fundraising activity of approximately 125 major donors and prospects throughout the Northeast and into the Mid-Atlantic. The individual is responsible for the identification, evaluation, cultivation, solicitation and management of individuals capable of contributing major gifts of $100,000 over three years, with a focus on individuals capable of annual gifts of $25k and over.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Meet fundraising and activity goals for major giving in the assigned regional portfolio.
- Solicit gifts from major donors and prospects, both independently and working collaboratively with other solicitors.
- Prepare meaningful and effective funding proposals, reports, program updates and customized email communications for individual donors and prospects.
- Schedule, manage and regularly attend donor meetings.
- Provide executive-level staffing, including appropriate, concise briefing materials in advance of meetings, for President, attorneys/staff, and trustees.
- Develop long-term strategies for the cultivation and stewardship of individual major donors and prospects.
- Build, maintain and maximize institutional relationships with major-gift donors and prospects through active and personalized stewardship; deepening their engagement with Earthjustice.
- Create strategic events to attract prospective donors and engage them with Earthjustice.
- Identify appropriate individuals for potential involvement in advisory groups or board membership.
- Identify opportunities for life-income, bequest, and complex-asset gifts, working with planned giving staff to maximize opportunities with donors.
- Acknowledge all gifts in an appropriate and timely fashion consistent with donor’s solicitation and stewardship plan.
Work Plan Design, Evaluation, and Budgeting
- Work with donors, friends, volunteers, and trustees of Earthjustice to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects that will lead to major gifts.
- Work with research staff, volunteers, and trustees to identify interests and background of donors and prospects.
- Manage all information relating to current major donors and prospects in a central database, in a manner that emphasizes the highest standards of accuracy, timeliness, thoroughness, and confidentiality.
Volunteer Management & Other
- Develop annual plan for donor portfolio and regional assignments. Monitor annual plan results and modify as necessary.
- Develop expert familiarity with assigned regions and programmatic needs; maintain current knowledge of key regional developments as they occur.
- Maintain working knowledge of national programmatic priorities.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- Extensive field activity and travel is required.
- Engage Earthjustice trustees and senior leadership in fundraising efforts, working with President, Vice Presidents of Litigation, Director of Individual and Major Gifts, and appropriate program staff.
- Serve as major gift representative on assigned program practice group(s).
Compensation for the Senior Development Officer, Major Gifts includes a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and an excellent package of employee and health benefits.
- Passion for the Earthjustice mission and sincere interest in environmental and conservation issues.
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree a plus.
- Seven + years demonstrated successful experience in major gifts fundraising with a focus on prospect identification, relationship building, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Knowledge of environmental and conservation issues highly desirable.
- Experience working with trustees, volunteers, and program staff or equivalent.
- Strong initiative and self-motivation with a keen interest in working collaboratively with an entrepreneurial team.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills; excellent research skills; superior written and oral communication skills; and relevant computer skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 40%.
Earthjustice has retained the services of ThinkingAhead Executive Search. Please send your resume, expression of interest and salary history and requirements in a Word format to Chris Spagnola, Senior Recruiting Associate at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Earthjustice - 6 months ago