Do you have a passion for creating rich, interactive video-based experiences? Are you a strategically oriented, results-driven leader? Are you looking for an opportunity to impact the lives of millions of consumers? If so, read on.
Consumer Reports is one of the most respected brands in the world, and our only accountability is to the consumer, not to advertising clients. We are in the midst of a significant investment in our digital business and are looking for a head of video content who is able to bring a broad set of experience and qualifications to our team.
Why This Role Matters
Consumer Reports has a long history as an independent voice working on behalf of the consumer. In pursuit of that mission we have become one of the most trusted brands and have successfully grown our businesses to one of the largest subscriber businesses in the U.S. without money from advertising and sponsorships.
We’ve driven much of that growth through our magazine and more recently through our website, both of which enjoy a robust subscriber base that pays us for our content. As we look to expand our reach into new audiences, we believe that video is a tremendously powerful vehicle through which to express unique narratives and carry our brand message.
Video is not new to Consumer Reports and we’ve had some initial success with it. Our television news content is distributed to roughly 80 affiliate TV stations in major US and Canadian markets, where we reach approximately 40 million people each month. We also have distribution through our digital magazine on tablets, through our website, YouTube and digital syndication relationships with major portals.
Our video approach to date has been largely to provide support to our existing editorial and media outreach strategies while providing newsworthy content to a television market. While those priorities are and will remain important, we believe that there is additional potential for new video-centric content and interaction strategies that can reach new audiences, generate significant consumer impact and grow our business.
That’s where this role comes in. We’re looking for the right leader to rethink our video business to better align with where our consumers are going, to help create a video-savvy culture and to drive the next iteration of audience and business growth at Consumer Reports.
We are looking for someone who can integrate the facets of content strategy, production/post-production, business strategy and distribution. Ideally this individual will also have experience monetizing video through means other than advertising.
Successful candidates will bring:
• 7+ years experience in content programming and production for both TV and web video.
• Team management experience, including recruiting, hiring, and performance management.
• Referenceable experience translating business and strategic objectives into a coherent content, engagement and monetization framework.
• Proven success using quantitative methods to experiment, learn and adapt digital content strategies to improve engagement and business performance.
• Ability to harness both creative, analytically rigorous, and strategic/visionary personalities in a matrixed environment to create amazing experiences that matter.
• People-oriented individual comfortable resolving ambiguity, working horizontally to project influence and change thinking across a medium sized multi-product business while inspiring and developing staff to do the same.
• Industry professional active in relevant digital media groups and with an established personal network in the space.
• Video Strategy: You’ll develop and implement an video strategy that supports our overall business strategy. The strategy you develop will include content, engagement, distribution and monetization approaches. Moreover, you’ll take what you learn about consumers and help us refine our strategies and offerings.
• Video Business, Production and Video Operations: This role is accountable for results on multiple levels. You’ll oversee all video revenue, licensing and distribution arrangements, video operations and budget as well as the video team. You’ll identify areas for growth through new audience acquisition, engagement, distribution, and monetization. Balancing vision and quantitative acumen, you will evolve our video strategy and make the case for investments necessary to achieve that growth.
• Experience Development: In addition to the video team itself you’ll work with our content, design, digital product, marketing and media relations teams to create unique video and multimedia experiences to amplify and expand our impact as an organization.
• Brand Voice: You’ll make sure that video is consistent with and projects our overall brand values, while finding ways to stretch that experience to capture the hearts and minds of consumers we haven’t yet reached.
• Capability Development: You’ll be a key voice of Consumer Reports in the digital media and video communities where you’ll stay abreast of industry trends and best practices, identifying opportunities to improve Consumer Reports’ methods, infrastructure and staff skills. You will also develop internal on-camera talent and work with external talent where it makes sense to support our strategy. You’ll train, recruit and manage team member performance to achieve our goals, and you’ll help integrate an entrepreneurial, media-savvy culture across our organization.
ConsumerReports.org - 16 months ago