The Senior Director, Systems Engineering is responsible for leading the teams charged with engineering Consumer Reports’ (CR) digital products which are used by millions of consumers. Within the organization’s highly collaborative cross-divisional product development environment, the incumbent partners with the Digital Product Management team and has technical ownership of CR’s digital products, aligning software engineering, content management and product hosting services with business needs. The incumbent interfaces with the Product Management, Marketing, Design, Optimization, Quality Assurance, Operations and Project Management teams, making this dynamic role both strategic and tactical.
- 10 or more years of experience in multiple technical disciplines including software architecture and development, data management, network operations, data storage, hosting, cloud services, PaaS, SaaS, etc.
- Has knowledge of and has experience with the art of buy-build-partner-outsource to satisfy the resourcing needs of the business
- Strong understanding of working in Agile and Lean environments where teams increasingly work in self-organized fashion with a flatter management layer.
- Knowledge of the best practices of software design, architecture, scalability, testing.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the latest trends and patterns in the industry from social to cloud to mobile. Has a business focus pragmatist approach.
- Knowledgeable about open platforms and how they scale. Has experience with open-source frame-works.
- Ability to build and scale B2C platforms.
- Strategic agility - Has broad knowledge and perspective; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive and breakthrough strategies and plans
- Organizational agility - Knows how to get things done both through formal channels and the informal network; can maneuver through complex political situations effectively and quietly; is sensitive to how people and organizations function; helps the organization change for the better
- Managing vision and purpose - Communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate entire units or organizations.
- Communication skills – Demonstrates ability to speak, write and present information in a clear, concise and compelling manner that is tailored to a particular audience. Demonstrates strong active listening skills.
- Planning and organizing - Demonstrates ability to develop effective short and long-range courses of actions for meeting goals; anticipates obstacles to goal attainment and identifies necessary activities and resources to accomplish goals. Demonstrates ability to be flexible to new opportunities, to think ahead, monitor own progress and make adjustments when necessary
- Building Effective Teams - Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; creates a feeling of belonging in the team
- Drive for Results - Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; very bottom line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results. Pursues everything with energy, drive and a need to finish; doesn’t lose momentum once the result is reached.
1. Technical Functional Management
2. Team / People Leadership
- Has significant experience with managing a technology function and working cross-functionally to execute the digital product roadmap.
- Adept at delivering CR’s product and technology roadmap with high quality, on time and within budget.
- Able to work with technology leads to ensure the technology strategy is aligned with the business strategy.
- Has knowledge and experience with the art of buy-build-partner-outsource to satisfy the resourcing needs of the business.
- Hands on with proven track record of delivering digital product and leading by example.
- Ability to “transform” the organization. Able to continuously improve the organization.
- Proven decision maker who is able to facilitate strong decisions rapidly in order to lead the organization in the right direction during a time of change.
- Acts as an “inspirational” leader. Must be able to build and lead high-performing technical and business teams.
- Ability to create a buy-in on technical vision and solutions. Ability to simplify technical problems and communicate priorities appropriately.
- Understands and communicates urgency and gets people to buy in and then deliver.
- Create a culture where enormous importance is given to constantly making progress toward goals.
- Able to hire, grow and develop technical staff.
- Ability to assess talent level of technical staff and make recommendations accordingly.
- Knows how to empower people through inclusion, trust, stability and respect.
- Demonstrated ability to build great working relationships with rest of the management team.
- Strong understanding of how to manage in Agile and Lean environments.
5. Team Building
- Experienced practitioner of Agile / Lean Software Development. Must know how to optimize, organize and staff for growth.
- Able to plan, organize, and oversee development of new releases and other modifications to the website.
- Dedicated to eliminating waste and driven about automation, development operations and automated testing frameworks.
- Experience with continually improving the development process, and quality and timeliness of releases.
- Able to help establish cost-effective technology solutions and manage to the technology budget.
6. Software Development Technologist
- Keen understanding of how teams come together to deliver great software.
- Ability to attract, inspire and motivate technology talent and build cultures of excellence. Must have previous developer experience.
- Experience with building, growing and sustaining a high-performing A+ software engineering team that serves the organization’s current and future growth needs, including building a deep bench of good candidates.
- Ability to act as a mentor to senior technical staff.
- Has thorough knowledge of the best practices of software design, architecture, scalability, testing.
- Knowledge of the latest trends and patterns in the industry from social to cloud to mobile. Has a business focus pragmatist approach.
- Aware of open platforms and how they scale. Has experience with open-source frame-works.
- Ability to build and scale B2C platforms.
- Responsible for managing the Digital Product Engineering function and working cross-functionally to execute the digital product roadmap.
- Deliver CR’s Product and Technology roadmap at high-quality, on time and within budget.
- Collaborate with the technology leads to ensure that the technology strategy is aligned with the business strategy.
- Responsible for the following technical functions and team within the CIOs portfolio:
- Product Engineering and Software Development (Web and Mobile platforms)
- Data Engineering (Product Content, User Generated Content and Customer Data)
- Technology Architecture
- Product Platform Engineering (eCommerce, CMS, Search, etc.)
- Data Science Lab (Machine Learning, Sentiment Analysis, Recommendation systems, etc.)
- Product Operations (Hosting, Cloud Services, etc.)
- Responsible for negotiating contracts with and managing relationship with all technical services providers.
ConsumerReports.org - 11 months ago