The Department of Finance seeks an experienced and highly organized individual to serve as the Senior Director of the Quality Analysis Group (QAG). The selected candidate will manage Directors, Assistant Directors and audit groups responsible for conducting audits of multiple tax types, of varied complexities.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Oversee, plan, organize, direct and prioritize QAG operations and audit activities.
• Manage the Voluntary Disclosure Program, non-field audits, delinquency audits, audit case screening/selection and audit review processes.
• Monitor and establish procedures to enhance unit operations and performance, including, audit selection, auditing techniques and performance metrics.
• Lead development and implementation of new initiatives relating to case screening and non-field audit policies and procedures.
• Ensure audits are conducted in accordance with tax law, NYC departmental policies and procedures.
• Identify and implement efficiency improvements for QAG audit procedures and supporting administrative processes.
• Participate in the resolution of audits. Monitor and plan to decrease aged and stagnant cases.
• Liaise and partner with other divisions at the NYC Department of Finance, taxpayers, and taxpayer representatives on audit related issues.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree including or supplemented by 24 credits in accounting, including at least one course each in auditing, U.S. taxation, advanced accounting, and cost accounting and four years of full-time progressively responsible tax related auditing or tax accounting experience at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative or managerial capacity, requiring independent decision making concerning program management or planning, allocation of resources and scheduling and assignment of work.
2. High school or equivalent and 24 credits in accounting including at least one course each in auditing, U.S. taxation, advanced accounting and cost accounting and six years full-time progressively responsible tax related auditing or tax accounting experience at least 18 months of which must have been in an administrative or managerial capacity requiring independent decision making concerning program management or planning, allocation of resources and the scheduling and assignment of work.
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least 24 credits in accounting from an accredited college including at least one course each in auditing, U.S. taxation, advanced accounting and cost accounting. Appropriate education may be substituted for the general tax related auditing or tax accounting experience (but not for the 18 months of administrative or managerial experience described above) at the rate of one year of college for six months of experience up to a maximum of four years college for two years of experience. A master's degree with a major in accounting, auditing or taxation may be substituted for an additional year of the general tax related auditing or tax accounting experience. In all case, all candidates must have at least 18 months of tax related auditing or tax accounting experience in an administrative or managerial capacity.
· At least 5 years supervision/management experience in a tax audit related environment, with strong performance management skills is preferred.
· Extensive technical skills in tax auditing, cash and financial statement effective tax rate analysis and improvement of tax efficiencies.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Experience preparing and presenting complex written and verbal materials.
· Experience as a team leader.
· Experience using data and data analysis to manage operations.
· Ability to influence at all levels of the organization.
· Experience communicating tax matters with taxpayers’ representatives.
· CPA and / or Masters in Taxation is preferred.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
NOTE: Department of Finance Auditors are prohibited from performing any outside tax-related work, and all other non-departmental work must be approved by the agency in advance of starting such employment.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Click the "Apply Now" button.
Unless otherwise indicated, all positions require a five-day workweek.
345 Adams St., Brooklyn
Current location but could be subject to change.
New York City Residency is not required for this position