Reporting to the Senior Vice President of the Strategic Initiatives division, the Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives will lead and drive profitable growth for Joslin through Healthcare Services activities including: industry alliances, education programs, and publications in all media forms collaboration; and, across Joslin with the Office of Commercialization; the Clinic and the Research in each of the Healthcare Services activity areas.
S/he will be responsible for Healthcare Services business development, P&L, strategy, product development, operations, and team with a responsibility to reach across the Strategic Initiatives division and Joslin to develop business in a way that optimizes profitable growth for the institution.
Business Development and Strategy
- Serve as the Group's lead on major business development opportunities with strategic partners and key customers; partner with medical/clinical leadership on all opportunities.
- Identify key strategic targets across the relevant healthcare industry sectors and devise disciplined plans to pursue them with involvement from the team. Be the lead on closing deals and serve as the high-level contact with partners.
- Collaborate closely with other groups across Joslin, including Clinic and OCV, to drive optimal resource management and mission achievement across Joslin.
- Work actively with the SVP of the Division on high-priority activities and opportunities. Collaborate on strategy formulation and execution.
- Work with medical/clinical leadership to direct the development of new business models to transform Joslin’s offerings into market-relevant products and services; work closely with the Clinc/OCV team.
- Ensure Joslin understands competitor positions and drive new approaches to gain differentiation.
- Prioritize opportunities and communicate clearly across Joslin to gain consensus.
- Lead the cross-Joslin Relationship Council with the COO/CFO
- Support Clinic and OCV with business development and ensure strategic alignment across the Center.
- Work with the SVP and team members on executing strategies, developing scalable products and bringing them to market.
- Ensure that the organizational design facilitates execution of work. Work with the team to allocate resources in a fluid manner across projects and customers.
- Own and manage the Healthcare Services P&L.
- Drive top line revenues to double-digit growth annually of those units drive and own results.
- Manage the cost structure of the business and ensure adequate contribution margin
- Help manage the sub P&Ls for the units within the group; ensure leaders
- Provide senior leadership to staff within HCS. Guide them on strategy, provide direction to enhance skills and approaches and develop new approaches for ongoing performance management.
- Create semi-annual goals and conduct formal annual performance evaluations.
- Re-shape roles and relationships within the structure as needed.
- Work on the core Divisional executive team to drive the overall performance of SI.
- Attend regular executive team meetings and participate in strategy setting, pursuit of new opportunities and financial management activities.
- Participate in ongoing meetings with Joslin's management team and Board of Trustees. Provide periodic updates on the business and pitch new strategies and opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree from top undergraduate program required. Master of Business Administration preferred. Concentration or course work in healthcare industry management or related area a plus.
- 10-15 years experience in private sector business, with predominant focus on the broader healthcare industry including pharmaceuticals, payers, disease management, healthcare services, etc. Exposure to consumer-oriented businesses.
- Ability to work across the organization and create strong team approach to product and business model development.
- Demonstrated abilities to create and execute strategies and drive growth.
- Strong experience with managing functionally-diverse teams and acting in a leader/mentor role.
- Demonstrated experience in closing deals and projects with partners/clients.
- Substantial exposure to senior management within employer and clients.
- Several years of experience in leading presentations, creating compelling strategies and tactics and communicating them effectively to clients and partners.
- P&L management experience required.
- Deep analytic and strategic skills. Comfort and confidence with finance and economic issues involved with P&L management, budgets, ROI analyses, pricing, etc.
- Strong communicator and presentation skills
- Self-starter with ability to balance both high-level strategy setting with more detailed, hands-on execution.
- Leadership presence.
- Broad base of knowledge within healthcare and ability to think creatively and quickly.
- Ability to work in diverse team environments, create high performing teams and execute high-quality work.
Joslin Diabetes Center - 2 years ago