About Education Pioneers
Education Pioneers is a groundbreaking national nonprofit organization that accelerates education reform by attracting and developing top leaders, managers, and reformers with diverse backgrounds and professional skills to ensure a public education system in which all students receive a quality education. Founded in 2003, Education Pioneers is building an extensive network of education change agents who work primarily outside of the classroom. We know that a thriving public education system needs great people at all levels - from the classroom to the district office to state and federal government. By creating a broad, deep bench of top talent to accelerate reforms outside the classroom that will transform the system, Education Pioneers ensures high student achievement and success.
Through our Fellowship programs, Education Pioneers identifies the best and brightest graduate students and early career professionals, and connects them with the most impactful organizations and promising initiatives throughout the education sector. Education Pioneers is also committed to developing a pipeline of diverse future leaders including those whose backgrounds reflect the students and families we ultimately serve through our partners.
Education Pioneers seeks a highly-organized, collaborative, and talented leader to oversee the planning and implementation of our programmatic work in California and the Western Region. This role focuses on managing a team to execute strategies which directly align to and support our long-term outcomes of "increasing top talent in education" and "preparing leaders to lead." The Senior Director will supervise a team that will identify and maximize partnership opportunities with key education organizations, recruit and select Fellows that will meet the talent needs of these partners, facilitate a powerful and transformational experience for Fellowship participants, and build a strong and effective network of education leaders. This role will be based in either Los Angeles, CA or the Bay Area, CA.
The Senior Director will report to the Executive Director of the Western Region and will supervise and support 5-6 team members to achieve an ambitious set of regional goals that support Education Pioneers strategic priorities.
Build a highly collaborative and results oriented team culture
Track progress and demonstrate team success through effective performance management
- Track team and individual progress on key milestones and support team members to plan and execute in their key focus area;
- Foster collaborative relationships across focus areas and balance staff capacity through cyclical changes in activities;
- Actively support the professional growth of the team and identify creative approaches for team members to grow professionally;
- Set structures for highly effective team communication;
- Establish strong working relationships between Western Region team members and individuals in national departments.
Build long-term talent partnerships with key education organizations
- Utilize a Salesforce.com platform to assure transparent and useful information related to progress on key pipelines for partnerships, recruitment and job transitions;
- Identify challenges and produce solutions to assure achievement of ambitious growth and quality goals;
Support our national strategy to recruit, select, and place a diverse group of talented graduate students into the Graduate School Fellowship and Analyst Fellowship Programs
- Build long term relationships with school operators, nonprofits and other education organizations to integrate EP as a part of their long term human capital strategy;
- Oversee the matching of talent from Fellowships, Alumni talent pool and other sources into key roles at Partner Organizations;
- Understand the performance and growth challenges of Partners and align EP offerings to meet their needs;
- Provide insight to Partners around staffing strategic roles, identify opportunities for effective collaboration within their organization and across the sector
Induct Fellows into a network of impactful education leaders
- Recruit and select a diverse group of talented candidates into Education Pioneers' Fellowship programs;
- Conduct in-depth interviews with applicants to assess their candidacy;
- Work closely with the California team to make final decisions regarding admissions into the Graduate School Fellowship and Analyst Fellowship.
Minimum Experience and Qualifications
- Adapt national program resources to address local context and incorporate local issues and execute best-in-class professional development workshops;
- Supervise the Western Region team to coach Fellows assuring high -impact Fellowship projects, building critical leadership competencies, and supporting and guide long-term career planning;
- Collaborate across the Education Pioneers team in implementing meaningful and relevant engagement opportunities for Education Pioneers Alumni;
- Engage the Education Pioneers network to create additional opportunities to increase the impact of our work on the education sector.
- Graduate degree strongly preferred.
- Five or more years of relevant professional experience including managing multiple direct reports
- Superb communication and relationship management abilities
- Working knowledge of the current K-12 education landscape required, significant education experience in California preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and ability to foster an inclusive professional culture
- Experience successfully managing a sales pipeline, recruitment initiative, or other measurable campaign
- Comfort presenting to large groups, and strong ability to effectively facilitate meetings and seminars
- Ability to work in and across several communication platforms (online alumni community, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter) and internal systems (Salesforce, Google Docs and Intranet)
- Willingness to travel frequently within California
- Education Pioneers Alumni are encouraged to apply
Education Pioneers believes it is critical for leaders in urban education to reflect the urban communities they serve. We actively recruit people of color to join our team. We support equal opportunity for all people and we strongly encourage people of color to apply for positions in our organization.
- A strong commitment to Education Pioneers' mission and core values of courage, optimism, collaboration, and action
- Independent, highly organized, and detail-oriented self-starter
- Energetic, hard-working, and enthusiastic team player
- Flexible, resourceful, and persistent change agent
- Creative, imaginative, and innovative problem solver
- Principled leader with high ethical standards
Duties and responsibilities may change. All Education Pioneers employees are encouraged to be flexible and responsive to changes in scope of duties.
idealist.org - 2 years ago
copy to clipboard