Senior Director Nuclear Engineering-24587
The Senior Director of Nuclear Engineering is responsible for directing the management of fleet-wide standards, processes and strategies for systems, design, program engineering or a combination of all three for nuclear power plant projects within Energy Supply. This position has the highest level of authority and accountability for the Engineering Center of Excellence in the nuclear department. The scope of this position includes corporate oversight and expertise in Program, Systems or Design Engineering functions, and may act as a Corporate Functional Area Manager of Engineering. This position is responsible for ensuring the governance (standards, metrics, goals, organizational structure, etc), for Xcel Energy?s nuclear fleet, the Engineering functional areas are aligned to nuclear industry top performance. It is also responsible for internal oversight of the sites' engineering functional area by validating established standards are being met and establishing improvement strategies and tactics when gaps in performance are identified. The ED-CFAM will serve as a fleet counterpart and expert resource to the Site Engineering Directors and Nuclear Fleet Engineering Director.
- Provides strategic oversight over the Nuclear Engineering functional area programs or engineering discipline areas, policies and processes to ensure established standards are being met. Follows up to ensure that issues in the implementation phase of governance changes are getting resolved.
- Ensures consistency among the Xcel Energy nuclear stations in the Nuclear Engineering department through the development and implementation of standardized policies, programs, processes and practices that are aligned to industry excellence. Identifies and ensures resolution of site governance differences that are not required due to technological differences and ensures that common standards are included in fleet governance.
- Directs, develops and prioritizes improvement items for the Nuclear Engineering functional area and develops a schedule for implementation of these items. Review COE Peer Group Initiatives for cost-benefit, process efficiency and process effectiveness. Ensures pilots identified by the COE Peer Group have a specific purpose, are appropriately reviewed, are supported and planed, then monitors with decision dates and success.
- Serves as a single point of contact with the nuclear industry in the Nuclear Engineering functional area or engineering discipline by remaining engaged and active with industry initiatives and knowledgeable of industry trends that may impact Xcel Energy. Serves as the Xcel Energy lead in the Nuclear Engineering functional area with the Utilities Services Alliance (USA) Core Peer Team by remaining actively engaged in USA activities and supportive of USA peer group initiatives.
- Provides oversight of and direction to architectural and engineering (AE) firms providing design, engineering, construction and technical services. Provides technical support (internal to Xcel Energy) for design, engineering, specifications, procurement, construction, etc., as required.
- Ensures the Engineering functional area organizational structure and staff support high performance standards. The includes oversight over current staffing levels and demographics, health of the knowledge and skills retention program and future industry initiatives that impact staffing and qualifications for the Nuclear Engineering department.
- Perform ERO duties based on site-specific assignment.
At Xcel Energy, our customers' quality of life depends on the energy we provide. Every time they flip a switch or turn a dial, they tap into the energy of over 12,000 people working to make life better. As a leading combination electricity and natural gas energy company, Xcel Energy offers a comprehensive portfolio of energy-related products and services to 3.4 million electricity and 1.9 million natural gas customers.
Xcel Energy has become a leader in the energy industry by demonstrating excellence in environmental performance. Our environmental commitment includes improving air quality, conserving resources, harnessing renewable energy, and protecting wildlife and habitats.
Xcel Energy's vitality comes from our people. It takes professionals in engineering, customer service, linemen, marketing and sales professionals, energy traders, mechanics, finance and accounting professionals and many others to power our company. We offer competitive compensation and benefit programs that include a range of options and coverage levels.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering
- 20 years experience in nuclear design, systems and or program engineering and/or power plant operation and maintenance;
- with a minimum of 10 years experience associated with major project design, engineering and construction;
- 5 years of progressive responsibility in management/supervisory experience relative to nuclear generating assets;
- hands on experience with project scope, schedules, estimates/budgets, economic analysis, and contracts is required;
- and substantial knowledge of civil, mechanical and electrical disciplines is also required.
- Registered Professional Engineer by examination preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and proven performance/results on major projects.
- Selection criteria may include testing and/or assessment and references may be required.
- Extended job assignments and extensive travel between regions may be required.
Primary Location: MN-Minneapolis
Sc hedule: Full-time
Union Position: Non-Bargaining
Xcel Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.