The Senior Director for Campus Relations oversees three offices within
University Communications: Campus Information & Visitor Relations
which includes campus tours, university switchboard and information desk; Internal Communications, which provides timely distribution of information to students, faculty, students, and parents, and, consults and advises administrative units to maximize their communication efforts; and Office of the Assemblies, which provides support and advice to four campus-governance assemblies. The director, two managers, and assistant director of these areas report to the Senior Director. The Senior Director reports to the Vice President University Communications.
The Senior Director provides general oversight to the managers of the three areas; works with managers on long-range planning; works with the division's director of finance and administration on budget and personnel issues; and works with the other Senior Directors on division-wide issues in order to make recommendations to the Vice President.
The Senior Director is one of four senior directors in University Communications. The others oversee Marketing, Public Affairs, and News. Collectively, these four positions along with the assistant vice president constitute the vice president's senior leadership team and meet with him regularly to discuss division-wide issues. This involves working with Cornell leadership on both the academic and administrative sides of the university, including deans, vice presidents, the provost, the president, and members of the Board of Trustees as well as communication directors and staff inside the colleges, units and schools.
Participate in planning and as the need arises in the urgent/crisis and Emergency Communications on behalf of the university.
Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field with at least 7-10 years’ work experience (higher education experience preferred) or an equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and organizational skills; ability to manage multiple projects; ability to function effectively with minimal supervision; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment; must be proactive, innovative and both a team leader and a team player.
- Proven leadership skills. Strategic thinking and priority setting is essential. Confidence to lead under dynamic conditions. Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Significant management experience, including the ability to maintain a collaborative virtual team environment that plays to strengths of individuals. Exhibit commitment and ability to foster professional growth and excellence among staff.
- An understanding of budget and finance to manage department budget and participate in division budget setting and review.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Master’s degree in communications or related field; fifteen or more years in a communications environment; five or more years of Cornell experience with demonstrated experience leading communication projects; including an understanding of history and operations; experience in higher education administration working with students, staff, faculty and parents.
- Experience with budget creation and oversight; excellent written and verbal communications skills; ability to manage multiple projects.
- Ability to function effectively with minimal supervision; ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment; ability to function effectively in a team environment; experience in a Macintosh environment.
No relocation assistance is provided for this position.
Background check may be required.
Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a great place to work. Our inclusive community of scholars, students and staff impart an uncommon sense of larger purpose and contribute creative ideas to further the university's mission of teaching, discovery and engagement. Located in Ithaca, NY, Cornell's far-flung global presence includes the medical college's campuses on the Upper East Side of Manhattan and Doha, Qatar, as well as the new Cornell Tech campus to be built on Roosevelt Island in the heart of New York City.
Diversity and inclusion have been and continue to be a part of our heritage. Cornell University is a recognized EEO/AA employer and educator.
Cornell University - 22 months ago