Primary Purpose of the Position:
Oversees communications and marketing team within revamped Corporate Communications & Corporate Marketing Department: including Associate Media Relations Director, Campaigns Manager, Marketing and Engagement Manager, Web Developer, Social Media Coordinator and Content/Writer. Leads the CMO/CCOs implementation of strategic communications and marketing programs to increase awareness and engagement in Food Bank activities, leadership, key accomplishments and milestones through the media, speaking engagements, branding, content management, and digital and social media.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages day to day marketing and communications initiatives across all Food Bank divisions to ensure maximum outreach potential, brand identity and marketing consistency;
- Leads effort to formulate and administer organization-wide communications strategies and messages;
- Implements rebranding efforts, under the general direction of the CMO with cross organization collaboration;
- Collaborates closely with the Program and Government Relations departments to design and carry out communications and marketing strategies and activities aimed at garnering public understanding of program activities, operational concerns and advocacy messages;
- Leads marketing campaigns and produce communications in support of fundraising, engagement and events;
- Coordinates and manages staff on administrative issues along with review of all written documents and oversight of online content;
- Reviews public speaking opportunities for CEO, senior staff and board, including creation of speeches, management of event logistics and preparation of presentations;
- Represents the Food Bank at press conferences, events, council meetings and other outside events along with CMO and other leadership staff.
Media: Print, Digital, and Social Media
- Oversee the organizations media relations strategy and implementation to ensure maximum visibility for the Food Bank and our issues. Implementation of new thought leadership programs and other key projects;
- Secure marketing and media partnerships in support of Food Bank work, including program, advocacy, fundraising and engagement objectives;
- Manage crisis communication in close coordination with CEO and senior staff;
- Manages all media-related inquiries. Reviews media requests and has authority on selection of appropriate venues, specific opportunities and who is the best Food Bank representative for a particular message and/or outlet;
- Assists and coaches Food Bank staff and Board with preparation for media interviews, public speaking engagements, presentations, and preparation of articles and/or Op Eds for publication;
- Develops contacts and relationships with media representatives to create opportunities for keeping Food Bank in front of public. Oversees database of public relations contacts;
- Develops ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of Food Bank, its members, staff and advocacy efforts;
- Writes and distributes press releases.
Publications: Print and Online
- Direct strategy and implementation for all aspects of the Food Banks website, including content, design/functionality, e-marketing, e-philanthropy and social networking outreach;
- Lead web redesign and content management strategy;
- Supervise creation, production and distribution of Food Bank communications materials including newsletters, public education materials, fact sheets, annual reports, insider letters and internal messaging guide;
- Lead the development of public education materials.
- Manage the day-to-day activities and responsibilities of the department, including all staff supervision, performance management, recruitment and professional training;
- Support the staff in their work through high-level coordination and supervision of projects and the creation and maintenance of systems and procedures within the department to ensure optimal overall performance;
- Additional duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 9 years senior level experience developing & directing comprehensive marketing & communications plans;
- Experience communicating about non-profit, advocacy and/or policy issues;
- Knowledge of poverty issues (knowledge of hunger issues a strong plus);
- Demonstrated sense of judgment and understanding of complex environments;
- Deep knowledge of philanthropy;
- Demonstrated success as a marketing and communications executive with the ability to effectively create and implement effective plans in media relations, marketing, website marketing and communications;
- Outstanding oral & written communication skills with experience in publication layout/production speech writing;
- Excellent organizational skills with a proven reputation for attention to detail;
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, & personal maturity;
- BA or BS; advanced degree and major in communications and marketing desirable;
- Excellent knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Demonstrated knowledge of e-philanthropy and philanthropic social networking strategies and tools preferred;
- Demonstrated success and acumen in managing, mentoring, and motivating staff.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Food Bank for New York City - 30+ days ago