We are looking for a person who is passionate about understanding customer needs, and is able to translate those insights into winning B2B marketing programs and materials. Rafter is an educational technology company that is experiencing significant growth by disrupting an existing category. Product Marketing is central to defining and executing the company’s strategies going forward.
The Senior Director of Product Marketing will drive and build the small-but-growing B2B Product Marketing team. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, goal-oriented leader who has the vision to compel others to action and the attention to detail to get things done. S/he should be capable of working independently, but prefer to be part of a team. Strong communication and influencing skills are a must. Working in a start-up environment, the successful candidate needs to feel confident making decisions in an ambiguous, constantly changing environment, but should continually push for data that informs those judgments.
- Create and communicate the most important B2B product marketing strategies that will drive growth for the business; get the organization aligned with these priorities
- Timely execution of effective marketing materials that builds the Rafter brand with B2B prospects; create leads for Sales and help Sales convert those leads into customers; able to take complex offerings and communicate meaningful benefits clearly and concisely
- Define Rafter’s target audience—key customer segments and which areas represent the greatest growth opportunity for Rafter; develop messaging that speaks to the unique needs of each audience and compels them to take action
- Understand the value proposition of key competitors, and how to best position Rafter to win vs. competition; gather and disseminate knowledge about market trends
- Execute market research—both qualitative and quantitative—that provides actionable insights on customer needs
- Manage Product Marketing team and outside resources; build the marketing organization’s capacity by attracting, coaching, and retaining high-quality talent
- Work collaboratively with Product Management and Engineering to determine how to best price, package, and position Rafter’s offerings; define the role for each product in the portfolio (e.g. acquisition, cross-sell, up-sell); work collaboratively on business cases for new offerings that address unmet customer needs and position Rafter for growth
- Analyze, evaluate, and measure the efficiency and effectiveness of marketing programs for Return on Investment; you’ve got to love the numbers
Rafter, Inc. is an education technology company that is leading the charge to help lower the cost of education materials for students while simultaneously helping universities boost their revenues. This balance is achieved though disrupting the archaic legacy course materials management system and implementing a robust in-store and online textbook rental solutions that we have pioneered and perfected. Working with more than 300 schools, Rafter has been able to save students more than $300,000,000 - and we’re just getting warmed up.
- Proven team leadership skills; ability to energize others by communicating a clear, compelling vision
- Proven results driving B2B marketing in a category where the offering is complex, and there are multiple decision makers and long sales cycles; experience with SaaS business models and product marketing challenges, such as CRM and/or ERP, is particularly desirable
- Strong examples of a customer-centric approach to marketing, and creating actionable programs from insights on customer needs
- Experience working with a field-based sales force and creating materials that enable Sales to be successful
- Enjoys working in fast paced pre-IPO environments
- Experience creating and executing marketing plans producing measureable performance improvements (e.g. increased growth rate, profitability, etc.)
- Experience building strong, collaborative relationships with cross-functional teams; experience managing and developing teams of direct reports
- Experience in the education, education technology, retail, or publishing/wholesale categories is a significant plus
- Product Management experience a plus
- Salesforce.com experience a plus
- Bachelors degree required, MBA strongly preferred
Rafter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. “Veterans of the United States Armed Forces are encouraged to apply. Thank you for your service.”