Common Sense Media is the leading independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of kids and families by providing the information, education, and independent voice they need to thrive in a world of media and technology. We are currently seeking a talented, experienced, full-time Senior Editor, Education Reviews to manage a team of reviewers who rate and review educational technologies and websites for learning potential, educational use, and age appropriateness, aimed at both educator and consumer audiences.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to work on a premier service that reaches over 70 million homes and tens of thousands of schools. Our organization has distribution through Google, Yahoo!, Netflix, Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner, and many others.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As Senior Editor, you'll manage a team of reviewers who rate and review educational technologies (e.g., mangahigh.com, Quest Atlantis, Motion Math, Quizlet, Shakespeare in Bits, Minecraft, Class Dojo) for learning potential, educational implementation, and age appropriateness. You'll write reviews of ed tech websites and apps for use by students and teachers. You'll also edit reviews of education-focused apps in consultation with our Senior Editor of Apps, contribute to the department's overall editorial strategy, and author content for educators, recommended lists, and parenting advice related to learning, media, and technology.
KEY DECISION MAKING
The Senior Editor, Education Reviews, will:
- Research, assign, and edit reviews of educational technologies for educators and for kids/teens, and post them online on Common Sense Media's platforms
- Research, assign and edit reviews of education-focused apps, in consultation with Senior Editor, Apps.
- Manage current freelance reviewers and hire new ones when needed
- Manage - with other editors - a corps of certified educator-reviewers who submit user reviews and ideas for classroom implementation
- Research and stay current with new trends in the educational technology, digital media, and learning fields
- Track and meet review goals and deadlines
- Coordinate with editorial staff to ensure timely reviews
- Decide learning potential and other ratings in conjunction with other senior staff
- Interface with editorial staff members to create articles about educators, kids, and educational technologies
- Create recommended lists
- Populate our sites with appropriate educator-facing content and parent guidance
- Contribute to editorial strategy
- Edit work of other staffers, as needed
- Serve as a resource on ed tech within the organization
WHAT WE NEED TO SEE ON YOUR RESUME
- Bachelor's degree required; graduate degree preferred
- Experience managing and editing in an online environment
- Excellent writing and editing skills (including copyediting proficiency); experience writing reviews or blogging about learning products
- 5-10 years education or classroom experience - teaching or working directly with kids or teachers
- Deep knowledge of ed tech, education websites/web-based services, websites for teachers and kids, and education apps
- First-hand experience and knowledge about digital media and learning
- Knowledge of trends in digital learning, assessment, and tech-forward schooling
- Early adoption of technology & social media
- Experience in gaming (online gaming, social network gaming, virtual worlds) a plus
- Familiarity with the Common Core and other education metadata initiatives
- Experience in an online publishing environment - familiarity using online publishing tools, content management systems, etc.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other spreadsheets
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Extremely keen attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Proven ability to create content that is educator-friendly, creative, fun, informative, SEO optimized
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced, highly focused, highly productive environment
THE X FACTOR
You're the kind of person who delights in finding the best new educational technologies for educators and kids. You have been known to spend hours poking around educational websites or playing educational games or apps with kids. As a teacher, you were first to adopt new technologies and integrate them into your teaching. You keep up with all the latest trends in digital learning. You are your friends' #1 contact when they need wise counsel and good advice on learning products. You can translate all that excitement into practical advice for educators and what's good for the classroom, as well as pointers for parents who want what's best for their kids. This is an amazing opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of educators and families as they search for great educational tools and age-appropriate entertainment.
You know ed tech in and out, have used ed tech in your teaching or work with teachers, have a network of people who would love to write reviews for you, and have experience managing reviewers or writers. You like to present information in a creative manner, and you love being part of a hardworking but fun team of editors. You're the proverbial self-starter, you don't miss deadlines, you pay attention to detail, and you're on top of what's hot in the ed tech world.
WHAT WE OFFER
The chance to work with talented, passionate professionals
A very competitive salary and excellent benefits package
An organization that offers work/lifestyle balance
The opportunity to really make a difference in the lives of kids this generation and the next!
Common Sense Media Inc. - 19 months ago
copy to clipboard