- PLOS Blogs
- Publish with PLOS
- Publication Fees
- Pay Invoice
- Article-Level Metrics
- PLOS Labs
- Open Access
- Media Inquiries
Careers Organization Overview
PLOS (the Public Library of Science) is a nonprofit publisher and advocacy organization located in San Francisco, CA, USA and Cambridge, UK Our mission is to accelerate progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication. Everything that we publish is Open-Access – freely available online for anyone to use and we maximize the value of this resource through technology.
PLOS has a global team of more than 180 people working in our editorial, production, information technology, administration, marketing, communications, and advocacy teams. Our work environment is team-oriented and rich in innovative ideas. PLOS’s distinguished Board of Directors includes eminent scientists, business leaders, and entrepreneurs.
In just ten years, PLOS has established seven highly successful journals that publish original content, an influential blog network, and a number of other initiatives to improve the organization and assessment of content for the benefit of different communities.
PLOS continues to expand. Currently, we are seeking talented candidates for the following positions:
- Community Engagement Specialist
- Editorial Board Development Assistant
- Product Marketing Manager
- Publications Assistant (Multiple Vacancies)
- Quality Assurance Engineer – Python, Ruby or Java
- Ruby on Rails Software Engineers (mid to senior levels)
- Senior Editorial Manager, Contributor Support
Please send a resume, a cover letter, and a phone number where you can be contacted to email@example.com and use the job title as the subject of your email. Certain jobs may carry special application procedures; please make careful note of those and follow directions indicated. No phone calls or visits, please. Principals only – email from recruiters will be ignored.
Community Engagement Specialist
We are currently looking for a talented Community Engagement Specialist to join our Education and Contributor Support team within our rapidly growing San Francisco office.
The primary responsibilities of the Community Engagement Specialist center on coordinating projects and support activities that build the PLOS community of researchers, centering on the journals Editorial Boards initially. The community engagement is provided through a number of means to enable onsite and virtual meetings, discussions, and educational and social events.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Provide strategic guidance, logistical support, and centralized coordination to the journal teams in the organization and coordination of Editor summits and meet ups
- Facilitate projects that drive community engagement
- Develop and maintain a log of activities, documents, and related materials used to record the events and to serve as helpful sources of available material and information for planning future activities and events
- Work directly with the Editorial Board Manager and Editorial Board Program Manager in the development and maintenance of existing and future technologies to support the Editorial Boards
- Build additional Academic Editor Knowledge Base sites that allow education, discussion, and information sharing, starting from an existing site.
- Learn and execute the steps to fully develop the platform in use, adding features that announce conferences, educational materials, and other means
- Identify potential opportunities for other forms of community collaboration and interaction
- Work across PLOS departments to optimize the use of virtual space and technology created
- BA or BS degree required; coursework in the sciences desirable
- One to two years work experience in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Strong time management and customer service skills
- Previous event-planning experience desirable
- High degree of attention to detail
- Proven problem solving skills; ability to think creatively in order to develop solutions
- Expertise with the Office suite (especially Excel) required
- Familiarity with eLearning management systems, database systems, and/ or Salesforce desirable
- Proven ability to learn and use new consumer software tools with minimal instruction