The Education team at American Progress is devoted to generating pragmatic and progressive new policy ideas to advance education reform in the United States. Our work focuses on several priority areas: preparing, recruiting, and retaining effective teachers and school leaders; promoting national standards, accountability, and fiscal equity; examining education governance; promoting expanded learning time and other school-improvement strategies in high-poverty schools; and promoting better learning in schools through technology and new assessments. In addition, we devote time and resources to addressing a second track of concerns: pre-school expansion, high school reform, dropout recovery, and promoting community schools. The Senior Policy Analyst or Policy Analyst will join a dynamic team of colleagues to assist in deepening our education policy work. She or he will have a special focus on federal education programs.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Conducting research and policy studies.
- Co-authoring and authoring policy papers.
- Assisting in and preparing articles and op-eds.
- Assisting in the convening of panels, symposia, and other discussion events.
- Participating in the development of American Progress
- ’s policy portfolio.
Working with other organizations with related interests.
Assisting in developing legislative and advocacy strategy for American Progress’s education policy priorities.
The following are not required but are a plus:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in training and experience.
- At least four to six years of professional experience in education policy or other relevant field.
- Excellent research, analytical, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of federal education programs and policies, particularly the Elementary and Secondary Education Act.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the standards-based framework for public education, especially as it relates to low-income and minority students.
- Comfort with working under pressure/tight deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work on a team.
American Progress provides a competitive compensation and benefits package.
- Federal or state legislative or executive branch experience.
- Legal skills.
- Data-analytical skills.
- Nonprofit experience.
- Experience with 501(c)(3) and 501 (c)(4) organizations.
American Progress is an equal opportunity employer; women, minorities, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
For more information on the Center for American Progress, please go to www.americanprogress.org .
For more information on the Center for American Progress Action Fund, please go to www.americanprogressaaction.org .
E-mail your Word resume and cover letter attachments to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Or you may write to:
Center for American Progress
1333 H Street, NW, 10th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
In your correspondence, please reference the exact title of the job you are applying for in the subject line. This announcement will remain posted until the position is filled. No phone calls please .
Please note that only those individuals whose qualifications match the current needs of this position will be considered applicants and will receive responses from American Progress.
Thank you for your interest in American Progress.
American Progress - 19 months ago