GE is an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation.
As a Senior Electric Power Systems Engineer you will contribute to the development of advanced electrical power & energy systems and components used primarily in utility applications. You will engage with and support several GE Energy businesses including GE Power & Water and GE Energy Management. You will also be encouraged to explore new applications which are tied with other GE Industrial businesses or revolutionary ideas which have not found a home in a GE business yet.
The Electric Power Systems Lab performs advanced, leading-edge research in a variety of electrical power system areas. We focus on technology that enables more reliable and efficient power generation, transmission & distribution. Our major customers include GE Energy, US Dept. of Energy, and the US Dept. of Defense.
Opportunities will exist to contribute to technology development in a wide-range of areas including the integration of renewable energy technologies such as wind and solar, WAMS, HVDC, distribution automation, power system protection, and microgrids. On many of these project collaborations are required within the internal organization by actively working on system related aspects with the electrical machines, power electronics, and electrical propulsion and energy storage teams.
As a Senior Electric Power Systems Engineer you will:
- Lead and actively participate in the development of new technologies and capabilities for GE's power generation, transmission, distribution and end-user product offerings by analyzing system requirements and needs to be translated into existing and new products.
- Drive electrical system requirements into projects related to power electronics, electrical machines, propulsion system,energy storage systems etc.
- Lead/join multi-disciplinary project teams and provide power system analysis expertise in areas such as real-time modeling, simulation, network modeling, system analysis, protection, transient stability analysis, grid codes, Smart Grid concepts, economic dispatch, HVDC/FACTS, etc.
- Demonstrate leadership to direct and guide analytical results to define, meet or exceed customer entitlements.
- Guide the development and identification of technology, product and service opportunities.
- Effectively communicate results by preparing written reports and making presentations describing analyses performed, solutions developed, and value obtained. Clear articulation of risks and benefits to internal stakeholders and external customers.
- Connect the organization to the latest technology developments and trends. Demonstrated awareness of competing and disruptive technologies.
- Lead proposal teams for GE businesses as well as government agencies.
- Doctorate Degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related field with at least 6 years of experience in Electrical Power Systems (OR Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or in a related field with at least 8 years of experience in Electrical Power Systems).
- Demonstrated power system engineering experience in:
- Power system impact of renewable energy
- Experience with Network modeling
- Undertanding of Protection and stability
- Transmission or distribution system planning and optimization
- Impact of novel and Intelligent devices on power systems (e.g. HVDC, FACTS, storage, electric vehicles etc.)
- Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals at the Masters level for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Must be willing to work out of an office located in Niskayuna, NY.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation as part of the selection process.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- You must submit your application for employment on the careers page at
www.gecareers.com to be considered.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
This position is eligible for the General Employee Referral Program
- Detailed understanding of generator excitation and speed controls
- Experience with alternative energy and distributed generation, e.g. wind, PV, fuel cells, combined heat and power applications.
- Experience in control theory with a focus on control algorithms for power or energy systems.
- Familiarity with power systems analytical tools, such as SPSCAD/EMTP, PSLF, MAPS, etc.
- Global mindset & customer focus
- Entrepreneurial inclination
Equal Opportunity Employer
Section 19 Job
YOU MUST BE ABLE TO SATISFY THE REQUIREMENTS OF SECTION 19 OF THE FEDERAL DEPOSIT INSURANCE ACT.
Apply to job
Save to cart
GE Careers - 16 months ago
At GE, developing people is embedded in our culture and integral to our growth. Developing people is how we have succeeded across industries...