Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices.
Reporting to Director of Hardware Engineering, the Senior Electrical Engineer will provide guidance and expertise for new products as well as identifying areas for improvement with existing products. As the primary hands-on electrical contributor working on all electrical issues for the entire product life cycle, the Senior Electrical Engineer will meet all reliability, cost, and schedule goals.
We are a tightly knit team and this role needs to collaborate effectively with other engineering teams and functions across the company and be able to work effectively with engineering and manufacturing partners around the world. Also, a good sense of humor, adventurous and someone who loves a good Tiki drink now and again would be great!
Required Skills and Experience:
- Actively collaborate with product marketing, mechanical, software, and supply chain team to transform new product concepts into successful shippable devices.
- Create engineering specifications that meet product requirements along with a functional test plan to verify the design.
- Drive the system level architecture for the electrical design and select all key components.
- Own schematics and oversee PCB design to insure that the layout will meet all electrical specifications, stay within the mechanical constraints, and does not have any ESD, EMI, de-sense, DFM and regulatory issues.
- Interface with firmware engineers to verify their code, to isolate cause of bugs, and to provide electrical requirements that need to be met by them.
- Work closely with contract manufacturers and ODMs to ensure that electrical designs are successfully taken through development into manufacturing.
- Support development of new program accessories and sustain existing designs of devices and accessories as required.
- Work closely with document management to insure that all electrical design documents including the BOM are properly maintained.
- Actively engage with supply chain team to seek out and validate cost reduction strategies for electrical components.
Qualifications and Educational Requirements:
- Superior technical competence with proven track record for product delivery in high volume consumer products.
- Experience in the entire hardware life cycle from concept phase through detailed design into production extending into sustaining to improve yield and/or product quality.
- Hands on experience with schematic capture, PCB layout, and laboratory equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work side by side with firmware engineers for software debug and board bring up.
- Strong leadership skills and ability to deliver results with a small, fast-paced team and to work across teams.
- Experience with embedded processor, audio, power, rechargeable battery, and wireless (WiFi and/or BT) designs.
- Must communicate effectively in a timely manner with design partners, both domestic and overseas.
- Organized, self-motivated, quality and customer-focused.
We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- BS in Electrical Engineering, MS EE preferred
- 8 – 15 years of experience in electrical engineering
- At least 5 years of experience in design of portable consumer devices
Livescribe - 19 months ago