Responsible for managing and maintaining Garland Power & Light’s Energy Management System (EMS), including the network infrastructure, all servers, workstations and applications, to allow the Transmission and Marketing operators the ability to actively communicate and control all aspects of substation and generation equipment in the field in real-time.
Essential Job Functions
Develop and maintain new scheduling and relational database systems to support electric utility operations functions.
Work with users to define requirements and brainstorm feasible approaches.
Design, program, debug, document and commission the new applications.
Install, program, and maintain servers, PC’s, and network gear.
Create and maintain system drawings for documentation.
Train users and others supporting the electric system operations.
Assure that applications are feasible to interact with ERCOT systems.
Assist with upgrades and 24/7 support of the EMS/SCADA and Market Operations Systems.
Recommend changes that will increase the effectiveness of the existing software and configuration.
Understand and administer customer software applications.
Perform preventative maintenance to enhance system availability and stability.
Assist with development of and abide by procedures for increasing Cyber Security (NERC and ERCOT compliant), Change Management and other normal IT processes.
Preferred Knowledge - Abilities & Skills
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Masters degree-level of study in Computer Science or Power Systems/Electrical Engineering
- 5 year Background in all facets of power systems operations, computer applications, and energy management system software
- Knowledge of basic equipment and operations in substations and power plants
- Intermediate knowledge of Electric Utility System Studies, Operations and Accounting
- Intermediate knowledge of computer and communications systems and software applications that support Electric Systems Operations
- Proficient skill with Microsoft Office
- Excellent oral, written and presentation communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills working with management, team members, system operators and staff
- Ability to train users of the computers used to support electric system operations
- Ability to maintain and specify enhancements for the computers used to support electric systems operations
Licenses & Certifications
Valid Class C Texas driver's license
One or more of the following certifications, equivalent or higher Comptia A+, Comptia N+, MCSE or CCNA
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions
The incumbent works in a typical office environment; relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards.
Minimum Education & Work Experience
4 years related experience
Or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
City of Garland - 18 months ago