Reporting to the Managing Director, Fundamentals, the Senior Energy Trading Meteorologist, will have direct responsibility for providing North American gas traders with consistently accurate price‑directional, trade‑|
actionable weather counsel which includes forward energy demand, initiating/managing natural gas trades, and optimize storage & pipeline assets. Responsibilities include:
- Formulate and communicate short and medium range weather forecasts including temperature, precipitation, and severe weather events
- Create, maintain, manage, and analyze weather databases as required for effective optimization of various assets or trading strategies
- Prepare forecasts into easily understandable price-directional trade‑actionable reports as needed on strict timelines which include early morning, mid day and occasional weekends or off hours based on needs.
- Maintain and manage detailed weather forecast information and required historical databases in support of in‑house natural gas demand forecast models.
- Evaluate weather vendor forecasts
- Assess meso-, synoptic, and global scale weather data as well as climate oscillations to develop a proprietary view of longer-dated weather for North America with a view toward providing trader clientele a critical review of weather vendors’ monthly, sub-seasonal and seasonal forecasts.
- Continuously improve both technical understanding of short, medium, and long range weather forecasting science as well as organizational competency.
- Develop and maintain strong relationships among natural gas trader clientele.
- Develop and enhance a network of current & former energy trade floor meteorologists.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- B.S. in Meteorology or Atmospheric Science or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years’ weather forecasting experience.
(Candidates with less experience may be considered at a lower level)
- Superior customer-focused verbal and non-verbal communication skills.
- Programming skills to maintain and develop new forecast tools (i.e., SQL, VBA, Microsoft Office products.
- Critical knowledge of weather analysis and forecast techniques, including 1) meso-, synoptic, and global scale weather data analysis, 2) weather forecast model interpretation, and 3) some working knowledge of climate oscillations (i.e. ENSO, PDO, NAO, etc.).
- Knowledge of all varieties of severe weather forecasting (tornadoes, severe cold & heat outbreaks, etc.) and proficiency in hurricane forecasting,
All offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a medical Fit for Duty exam, background and reference check, drug screen, verification of legal right to work in the U.S., and in some cases, a credit check. A credit check will be administered when a prospective employee will be working in Finance, Accounting, Treasury or where duties may involve handling of funds, accounts or cash. A Motor Vehicle (MVR) check will be administered when a prospective employee will be regularly using a company vehicle. Iberdrola Renewables is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Actual weather forecast experience on a commodities trade floor,
- Specific gas-demand critical North American micro-climates (e.g., Chicago, New York, Texas, and the US Southeast)
Iberdrola Renewables - 9 months ago
IBERDROLA Renewables (formerly PPM Energy) is a real power player in the energy industry. Part of IBERDROLA's global network,...