Do you have experience running a plastic extruder film extruder line? Does your engineering education and experience include polymer processing and characterization? This position requires an engineer with a background in resin compounding and knowledge of the potential problems and solutions to plastic sheet extrusion including biaxial orientation. Skills should include the ability to scale up with pilot line equipment at outside processors.
In this role you will develop materials, formulation and processes for diffusion control films in batteries. Manage relationship with internal and external resources for process and materials development. Connect polymer films with internal and external resources for electrode coating and finished battery processing to meet battery product requirements. Carry out experimental work with blended polymer compounds in suitable processes in lab and pilot scale. Evaluation of compositional changes will be performed to determine their effect on battery capacity, rate capability, and reliability. Provide the technical and product work needed to identify the best option for achieving project objectives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Model the Spectrum Brands eight Core Capabilities to achieve service excellence, meet and exceed organizational objectives and support fiscal responsibility.
- Establish the parameters for diffusion control assessment separately and in combination with electrode active layer based on input from product design.
- Establish test methods and procedures or partner with outside sources.
- Carry out compounding, extruding, calendaring, and mechanical post processing of polymer films to achieve desired physical and final electrochemical properties.
- Develop required materials / formulations.
- Initiate bench testing where necessary. Prepare bench scale and pilot scale materials for in-battery testing.
- Present findings to colleagues to substantiate completion of tasks and readiness for subsequent project activities. Communicate assessment.
- Execute on decision structure as developed by team and management.
- Where indicated, develop in house capabilities or develop relationship with toll processors.
- Transfer data and process knowledge to plant personnel during pilot runs and scale up. Complete qualification of process and design out to full production.
- Incumbent needs to be a hands-on individual who uses a good structured approach to problem solving with experience in the plastics processing industry.
- Demonstrated excellent communication, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- In addition to required PC skills, statistical design of experiments and data analysis skills (e.g., using Minitab) is a preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Polymer Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science is required as well as 5 to 7+ years experience in polymer processing related function.
- A strong background in polymer processing, materials, and chemistry is required.
- Experience in functional design and product development particularly in breathable film systems is preferred along with working knowledge of extrusion systems. Understanding of battery chemistry is a plus.
And you will know them by their trail of brands. Spectrum Brands makes and markets products sold under some of the most recognizable names...