Pacific Biosciences develops and commercializes single-molecule real-time DNA sequencing instruments. We are seeking a skilled software engineer to participate in the development,integration and testing of the signal processing pipeline, which includes the analysis steps of trace processing, pulse detection and classification, base calling, and quality assessment. This senior engineer will (i) develop solutions and automated tests for enhanced on-instrument parallel processing workflows and data throughput optimization using FPGA hardware and Intel Xeon Phi acceleration technologies combined with conventional computing ; (ii) develop tools for large dataset analysis and functional/performance regression tests; and (iii) design, develop and test component-level algorithm and implementation enhancements to meet mission-critical accuracy and throughput requirements. This position requires an individual with a strong mix of testing, analytical, algorithmic and software engineering skills, who is accustomed to developing product-quality software according to company coding and process standards. This individual is interested and enjoys developing not only original software but automated functional tests, unit tests, and writing related test and design documentation.
• Design, develop, integrate and test analysis pipeline components for deployment in production FPGA hardware and software; develop optimized implementations to maximize performance and throughput on available hardware.
• Work in a multi-disciplinary organization of software and hardware engineers, bioinformaticians, chemists, and molecular biologists developing state-of-the-art, single-molecule, genomic analysis systems.
• Quickly identify solutions to complex data processing and automation problems for use in production instrument hardware/software and internal tools; provide methods or prototypes for concept evaluation.
• Write functional specifications and design documentation as well as test plans for peer review; maintain software development practices adhering to company standards for coding and unit/functional test coverage.
• Design and write automated tests and support other developers as required to troubleshoot system issues or assist in system-level integration.
• M.S. in physical science discipline, computer science or electrical engineering; candidates with a similar B.S. degree and a high level of relevant experience will also be considered.
• 4+ years of professional experience testing complex software systems including designing and writing automated tests and utilizing automated test frameworks.
• 4+ years of professional experience in algorithm development involving high-performance signal processing, system modeling, and/or machine learning for analytical instruments or systems.
• 4+ years of experience with hardware acceleration real-time software, and distributed computing is desired.
• 4+ years of professional software development experience (may be concurrent) using C++ in a structured engineering environment. Experience with object-oriented design is required.
• Proficiency with Linux, Windows, and professional software development tools, including IDEs and revision control, is required.
• Experience with multithreaded programming is required.
• Experience in the life-sciences tools domain, especially DNA sequencing, is desired.
• Preference is shown to candidates with strong analytical and development skills who demonstrate the capability to bring solutions beyond the prototype stage for deployment in performance-critical production hardware/software.
Pacific Biosciences - 9 months ago
Pacific Biosciences’ mission is to transform the way humankind acquires, processes and interprets data from living systems through the...