Engineer - Senior
Position Purpose: This position is a senior position for the iSeries team of Sustaining Engineering. The associate in this position will perform the installation, maintenance and customization of system software, perform problem determination analysis, provide project management for complex projects and contribute toward departmental tactical and strategic planning. The associate in this position will also provide training for Computer Operations, Network Services, Process Control, client application development teams, client support teams and other systems programmers. The key objective of this position is to provide our clients with complete, high quality systems programming support.
Primary Working Relationships: Works with a wide range of clients, including application development teams, operations support teams, back office support teams and branch office personnel, to complete projects and resolve problems. Also works with system software vendors and third party service providers, Computer Operations, Network Services, Process Control and other units within Sustaining Engineering and FET to service clients.
Nature and Scope: Complete the installation, maintenance and customization projects necessary to support the operating systems and system software components on the iSeries computer operating system, including i5/OS. Perform the problem analysis and resolution implementation for the operating systems and system software on the i5/OS system. A comprehensive understanding of CL, IBM system utilities, operations and programming concepts is required for the associate to perform the necessary technical tasks and projects. A comprehensive understanding of the system software installation procedures on the i5/OS operating system is required. Dump reading, trace analysis and other problem analysis skills are required. Associate will work with minimal supervision from the Sustaining Engineering Manager. Associate will provide project management for complex projects and will assist FET supervisors and managers with tactical and strategic technical direction. Associate will train other systems programmers, Computer Operations, Process Control and client application development teams, as needed, on the use of all system software. Minimal travel and working beyond standard hours will be required to adequately support client needs and sharing of information with other units throughout Fiserv.
1. Achieve and maintain a mastery of the operating systems’ internals. *
2. Install, maintain and customize operating systems and system software. *
3. Process client requests for system software modifications. *
4. Perform problem analysis and resolution implementation to support client needs. *
5. Ensure availability and performance objectives, as required by clients and management, are maintained for operating systems and for system software components. *
6. Provide project management for complex projects. *
7. Assist the FET supervisors and managers in reviewing software requirements and establishing technical direction and business strategy for the department. *
8. Provide training to clients and colleagues. *
Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or computer related field is required. Equivalent work-related experience may be substituted for educational requirement.
Job Related Experience: Minimum of five years experience with operating systems and system software installation in an i5/OS systems environment. Minimum of three years experience with dump reading, trace analysis and performance and capacity planning required.
Functional Area Skills/ Knowledge/Abilities:
Fiserv, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and maintains a Drug-Free Workplace.
- Strong analytical skills required.
- Mastery of system software installation, customization and problem determination on i5/OS operating system required.
- Mastery of CL, IBM system utilities and operating systems concepts and internals required.
- Dump reading and trace analysis skills required.
- Comprehensive understanding of system performance and capacity planning required.
- Proficiency with CL required, and experience with other programming languages preferred.
- Strong written and oral communications skills required.
- Strong project planning and project management skills required.
- Ability work beyond standard hours and a small amount of business travel required.
Fiserv - 2 years ago
It's 10:30, America. Do you know where your money is? Fiserv does. The company provides financial services technology to banks,...