The City Manager's Office is seeking a Senior Executive Analyst to perform administrative functions of considerable difficulty in executing programs and projects. The position reports to an Assistant to the City Manager. Duties include, but are not limited to:
*Performs quantitative and qualitative analysis of City departments, programs, operations, and/or budgets, including the City Manager's Office (CMO) itself.
*Prepares reports and evaluations of City departments, programs, operations, and/or budgets, including the City Manager's Office (CMO) itself.
*Reviews policy options and make recommendations to City management and City Council.
*Makes presentations on behalf of the City Manager and City administration to neighborhood and community groups; represents the City Manager at meetings and on committees as assigned.
*Responds to and assists in resolving citizen complaints regarding City staff and services; identifies and analyzes causes and patterns of problems.
*Identifies and evaluates community needs; analyzes, monitors and evaluates service levels; and recommends actions or improvements as appropriate.
*Provides liaison support for the City Council, Council Committees and City Boards & Commissions.
*Performs special projects in support of City Manager's Office priorities.
*Develops information regarding potential legislative actions, reviews legislation introduced at state and federal levels to identify those which may impact the City, analyzes significant pending legislation and/or coordinates legislative analysis among affected departments, and develops and coordinates recommendation for formal position on behalf of the City on significant pending legislation.
An incumbent may supervise Executive Analysts, and/or support staff as assigned. Evening and weekend work is occasionally required.
This is an at-will, unclassified position that is FLSA exempt (salaried).
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
Education: Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; Master's Degree in public administration, business administration or related field is preferred, and can be substituted for a portion of the required experience.
Experience: Four (4) years of professional level analytic and/or administrative experience.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San Jose will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Department of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
- Job Expertise - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations.
- Analytical Thinking - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; identifies a set of features, parameters, or considerations to take into account, collects and analyzes data, uses logic and intuition to arrive at conclusions and recommendations.
- Communication Skills - communicates and listens effectively and responds in an timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
- Customer Service - approaches problem-solving by focusing on customers first; advocates for customer results point of view; demonstrates the ability to anticipate customers' needs and deliver services effectively and efficiently in a timely, accurate, respectful and friendly manner.
-Leadership - leads by example; serves as appropriate role model; demonstrates high ethical standards; Remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment; encourages and rewards risk-taking, allowing others to learn from mistakes.
- Maintaining Personal Credibility/Meeting Ethical Standards - When confronted with ethical dilemmas, acts in a way that reflects relevant law, policy and procedures, agency values, and personal values.
- Multi-Tasking - can handle multiple projects and responsibilities simultaneously; has handled a wide variety of assignments in past and/or current position(s).
- Political Skill - in taking action, demonstrates an understanding and consideration of how it will impact stakeholders and affected areas in the organization.
- Project Management - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
If you are a qualified candidate interested in applying for this position, please complete the job application and respond to the supplemental questions. After a careful review of applications, a limited number of finalists will be invited to participate in an interview.
You will be prompted to respond to the following supplemental questions after completing the job application.
Do you have experience with working in local government? If yes, please describe your experience, including any experience working with Executive Management, government bodies and/or City Councils, and the community.
Do you have experience with report preparation of a project that you have recently completed? If yes, please describe a major report or project that you have recently completed. If the project or report included the analysis of data, describe how you have retrieved the data and what tools you used to analyze the data, how the information was used in the report, and your specific role in the report preparation.
Do you have experience with completing work products that require coordination amongst various stakeholders, departments, and offices? If so, please describe an assignment that required a quick turnaround and coordination with these various stakeholders, departments, and offices? What was your role? What was the desired outcome? What would you do differently if the actual outcome differed from the desired one? In addition, identify what you think are the most critical factors in building trust and respect with stakeholders.
Do you have experience with direct and/or indirect employee supervision, including the approaches used to train, motivate and inspire staff, while ensuring strong staff work products and customer service levels? If yes, please describe your experience.
If you have any questions about the duties of this position, please contact Ernest Azevedo at (408)535-8119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
This classification is part of Executive Management (MGT).
City of San Jose - 10 months ago
copy to clipboard