Casey Family Programs, an Equal Opportunity Employer, is a national operating foundation that provides and improves—and ultimately prevents the need for—foster care. We value a diverse and culturally competent workplace.
The Employment and Training Administration (ETA) in the Department of Labor (DOL) operates a number of programs that directly impact young people in foster care- the Workforce Investment Act, Job Corp and YouthBuild. This position will also ensure Dr. Jill Biden has the resources and support to highlight the needs for youth in foster care as they complete high school and move on to post-secondary opportunities.
· Support the Department of Labor in national efforts to address the employment well-being of youth.
· Working within the administrative structure of DOL to, assist in the review and development of national policy affecting vulnerable children and to lead efforts to enhance stakeholder and public engagement opportunities.
· Provide critical analysis of the barriers imposed by our current practices for recruitment and enrollment across programs.
· Support the creation of new program guidance that would offer state and local Workforce Investment Act participants improved strategies for connecting with young people in foster care and provide them with additional options.
· Assistance in strengthening access to our electronic tools by young people in foster care as well as the foster families and facilities to make them better aware of labor market information and the training that is available to qualify for good jobs.
· A point of contact for ETA across the federal agencies to provide guidance on breaking down silos to improve practices across all federal and state agencies providing services. Participate in the Interagency Working Group on Youth Programs and identify additional interagency connection points to improve services or policies.
· Provide specific recommendations for improving both YouthBuild and Job Corps to better meet the needs of foster students.
· Development and delivery of technical assistance across all of DOL programs.
· Acting as the point person for Dr. Jill Biden’s office on the needs of foster students in community colleges.
· Identify organizations on a national, regional, and local scope for possible partnerships that provide resources and assistance to youth and families in seeking meaningful employment preparation and opportunities.
· Work on projects, act as committee member, and perform other duties as assigned.
· Master’s degree in Social Work, Public Administration, Education, Psychology or other human services fields with a minimum of 5-10 years of experience is required.
· Expert knowledge of public child welfare administration, practice and issues required. Expert knowledge of fields related to child welfare, how the fields intersect and the implications is essential.
· Expert knowledge of youth employment laws, policies and practices.
· Sophisticated relationship-management skills required. Demonstrated effective leadership and decision-making skills with experience in leading change is essential.
· A balance of assertiveness and diplomacy is critical, as well as effective listening skills and the ability to lead and collaborate with teams of professionals. The ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, is essential. Must be able to work and maintain self-control while under pressure or in stressful circumstances. Basic computer skills in MS Office are essential. Effective organizational skills are necessary as this position functions without the benefit of administrative support.
· A commitment to building personal and organizational sensitivity towards diverse cultural, socio-economic, and lifestyle backgrounds is essential.
· This is a full-time contract position that may require travel 10% or more of the time.
· Physical requirements include the ability to lift and reach for light objects; close visual acuity to prepare and analyze data, text, and figures; ability to type utilizing a computer keyboard; ability to travel to outside locations; and the ability to work at a computer for extended periods of time as a primary job function.
Casey Family Programs - 15 months ago