As a Senior Firmware Engineer in the NAND Controller Group at Micron Technology, you will be responsible for architecture, design and development, and technical guidance of other firmware engineers. The NAND controller group is responsible for delivering controller solutions for high density NAND devices using advanced channel technology targeted into consumer and OEM markets. Products and interfaces developed by this team include eMMC, SATA, NVMe, ONFI, UFS, and SSD.
Position can be located in either Longmont, CO, Boise, ID, or San Jose, CA.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Architecture and design of firmware for new high performance controllers.
- Documentation of architectures, algorithms, and specifications including presentations to management and internal and external customers.
- Defining designs in a multi-product codebase
- Lead and review work of other engineers to ensure designs meet architectural designs and all product requirements.
- Provide guidance and training in C, RTOS, OOD, development process, test process, and algorithm development for team members.
- Analysis of internal and competitive products including performance/power/cost tradeoffs.
- Work closely with Marketing Teams, System Hardware Design Engineers, Product Engineers, Flash Memory Design Engineers, and Production Engineers to solve cross functional design issues. Develop and specify solutions.
- Develop structured and commented source code. Effectively use code reviews. Verify design using a variety of verification methods, including simulation, FPGA prototyping, and product testing.
- Demonstrate effective analysis of functional or performance issues with the firmware, and/or hardware in test environments or target host systems using analysis equipment or software.
Successful candidates for this position will have:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required to interface within the team, outside the team across various disciplines, and across multiple sites.
- Proven track record as a team lead.
- Good leadership, mentoring, and interpersonal skills
- Creative and innovative thinker in all areas of system design and debugging.
- Proficient in using development tools such as Assemblers and Compilers for 32-bit RISC microcontrollers, and test equipment such as oscilloscopes and logic/bus analyzers, and FPGA design tools.
- Experience with simulation and prototype development/debug environments
- Experience in architecting, designing, and implementing complex firmware projects in mid-large teams.
- Experience working in large codebases, with multiple product targets, with many firmware engineering contributors.
Desired skills include
- Flash or rotating mass storage experience a plus. This includes read & write data paths, data integrity requirements, and error recovery procedures.
- ARM Cortex Microprocessors and toolchains
- Java, C, C++, Python, Perl development experience.
- eMMC, UFS, SAS, SATA, NVMe, ONFI interface knowledge is a plus.
- Knowledge of high density NAND storage technology.
- Working knowledge of digital hardware design. Knowledge of Verilog a plus
- Experience in high volume, low cost product development
- Typically requires 7+ years of experience in embedded firmware development.
- Hands on experience in firmware development and verification, system failure analysis and problem solving.
BS in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
It has been and will continue to be the policy of Micron to administer all human resource actions and benefits without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran's or other legally-protected status. Each manager, supervisor, and team member is responsible for carrying out this policy.
The EEO Administrator in Human Resources is responsible for administration of this policy. The administrator will monitor compliance and is available to answer any questions on EEO matters. To request assistance with the application process, please contact Micron’s Human Resources Department at 1-800-336-8918 (or 208-368-4748).
Micron Technology is one of the largest memory chip makers in the world. It makes DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory), NAND Flash, and NOR...