In this position, you will be responsible for advancing the science and technology of active packaging in the context of food preservation. Primarily responsible for the development and application of active preservation technologies to specific customer needs in the food industry. Y ou will be responsible for leading product development and test programs while working with food and beverage customers, Food Science laboratories/Universities, and testing facilities on the development and application of current or new Active Packaging solutions. Specific responsibilities include:
To qualify, you must have a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science or Packaging Science with a focus on food and beverage packaging and food preservation methods. Masters/PhD degree preferred. A minimum of 5-7 years experience in packaging development or product development within the food, beverage, or packaging material industry required. Knowledge of food processing technologies, preservation methods, packaging materials, and packaging techniques across multiple product families required. Experience with the operation of various laboratory equipment including headspace analyzers, pH meters, conductivity meters, bench top mixing equipment, vacuum/gas flush packaging equipment necessary. Ability to interact with customers is essential. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously. Experience with formulating new food and beverage products and/or evaluating food/beverage ingredients highly desirable.
- Proposes programs of both need and discover oriented research in the solution of current problems and long term issues in the development of a body of fundamental technical knowledge which may be applied to active preservation product development.
- Leads the development of new product lines, product line extensions and modifications of existing products to minimize customer problems and to assure maximum market penetration and profitability.
- Identify specific food types with stability issues or significant losses in the distribution chain and at retail.
- Determine active preservation technologies which may be applied to such food types to maintain quality and reduce losses because of markdowns or through spoilage.
- Maintain contact with active packaging development activities and trends with academic and industrial sources.
- Manage various projects with Universities to evaluate the functionality of various active packaging solutions.
- Apply food science and processing training to identify specific postharvest and postmortem degradation mechanisms which limit the useful life of fresh products and define technologies to overcome injurious changes.
- Work with outside laboratories to evaluate microbiological stability of packaged food and beverage products by identifying both spoilage and pathogenic organisms and defining active preservation strategies to overcome the deleterious effects of these.
- Interface with customers in support of sales opportunities to establish a clear understanding of the customers’ product problems, to apply preservation techniques that provide them with cost-effective solutions based on current and new technologies and capabilities, and to advise them on the proper application of these technologies to their products.
- Provide technical support to Business Development leaders during the test and qualification process at Customer facilities.
- Guide sales and marketing personnel in product line technologies and promote the correct handling, manufacture and application of Multisorb’s products and preservation technologies.
- Work with materials, manufacturing engineering, operations, and other resources to ensure effective transfer of new products/processes to commercial scale.
- Provide support to the materials group in evaluating alternative active raw materials and packaging films.
- Assist in establishing a capability for product and materials testing, analysis and evaluation, including appropriate laboratory facilities and test equipment; define test programs and procedures.