Reporting to the Manager, Fundamentals, the Fundamentals Analyst Lead/Senior will have personal responsibility for providing the Fundamentals Group, and thereby our complement of North American natural gas traders, with expertise in database management/mining programming skills as well as consistently accurate price-directional, trade actionable natural gas market fundamentals. This position will have personal responsibility to the Fundamentals Team for management of, and architecture associated with, the team’s databases as well as team responsibility for
- Developing and communicating tactical near & medium term market guidance,
- Clearly identifying tactical trade opportunities and risks, and
- Backing up the tactical & strategic roles of the Manager, Fundamentals during his absences from the office.
The successful candidate will:
o Program & Manage Databases: demonstrable expertise in database management, including programming
- Employ expert proficiency with PC software including spreadsheets, word processing and databases, including proven expertise in programming using VBA and SQL.
- Effectively participate with the Fundamentals Team, using input from stakeholders, in the design & development of new, and improvement of existing, natural gas market models/frameworks that automatically retrieve, organize, store, analyze and present fundamentals data impacting natural gas prices, with emphasis on improving presentation and delivery. In part, but not limited to, this means that the individual must be able to
skills with VBA and SQL,
o Construct New or Improve Existing Models: experience developing models to assess North American
natural gas production, imports, exports, demand and regional pricing, and
o Analyze Data into Trade Actionable Information: comparable expertise in assessing market implications
from the results of such modeling, and
o Communicate: not only distill that assessment into price-directional, trade actionable opinions of the North
American natural gas market but also effectively communicate such opinions and be prepared to offer
potential trade recommendations.
o assist in the responsibility to assess the impacts of strategic opportunities and proposed transactions on
- Assess and concisely communicate the implications of shifting regional natural gas supply & demand on time and location price spreads; contribute actively to tactical/seasonal discussions of trade opportunities suggested by such shifts.
- Effectively assist in making price directional, trade actionable tactical assessments of energy markets over a minimum of the next two storage seasons; strategic scenarios for subsequent time periods may also be required from time to time.
- Identify new sources of information as well as possess the programming skills necessary to effectively evaluate and fully integrate those new sources into the aforementioned models/frameworks.
- In combination with the Manager, Fundamentals & Managing Director, Fundamentals,
Iberdrola’s existing assets and trade positions.
o during absences of more senior operatives, assume responsibility for counsel required by upper & executive
management regarding the impact of major energy market drivers e.g., policy changes, economic
The Goal: accountability for maintaining the Fundamentals Group’s long standing tradition of assimilating voluminous data into consistently accurate price directional, trade actionable information and commercial recommendations thru effective written, verbal and graphic communications on a real-time intraday, as well as up to date daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal and annual basis depending on the frequency of the data. Specifically, this position will support that tradition using expert level database management & programming skills presently lacking among Group members, complementing with all their skillsets the critical teamwork characteristics required in a commercial-support group whose duties include not merely providing clear & concise information, but also cooperatively being an instrumental part in driving Trader decisions & bottom line results. Requirements • Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Perform all duties & oversight responsibilities of the Manager, Fundamentals during his absences.
- Lead teams designed to maintain existing, & develop new, trade-actionable analytic products.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a commercial, or a direct commercial support role, in the natural gas trading, upstream or midstream industry.
- Expert proficiency with PC software including spreadsheets, word processing and databases, including proven expertise in programming using VBA and SQL.
- Expertise in regional gas market structures, transmission/distribution, and production.
- Expertise in practical application of statistics, regression analysis and forecasting methods.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills with ability to adapt communications as needed to vastly different audiences from detail-oriented traders to “big-picture” focused upper & executive management.
- Willing to travel as needed for the position – expected to be no more than 10%.
Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Masters degree in economics, engineering, mathematics or other quantitative field.
- Experience in the energy or financial industry in a role directly supporting energy traders’ formulation of price directional trade tactics for US natural gas trading.
- More than 7 years’ experience in a commercial, or direct commercial support, role on a natural gas trading floor