The Senior Graphic Designer designs university and academic publications, advertising, promotional materials, direct mail and other promotional materials produced by Creative Services and other university-wide departments and colleges. The Senior Graphic Designer will also: meet with university clients to define publication designs, sequences, specs and schedules; determine the needs of the audience; and insure materials adhere to accepted university brand guidelines; review projects and determine availability of resources to meet requests for preparation and completion of printed matter efficiently and on schedule; collaborate with writers and editors from Creative Services and other departments on campus on the development of university publications; oversee the development of specifications and cost estimates for printing services according to format, paper stocks, mail specification requirements, inks and volumes; inspect and approve printer proofs to ensure that specifications and standards of accuracy and quality of materials are met; determine the need for design-related supplies and equipment and place orders with vendors to add to and replenish inventory; prepare materials such as signs, display maps and artwork, drawings, statistical graphs, pictorial representation and slides for presentation at meetings and conferences; as requested and under the direction of the Director, review the work performed by the Junior Graphic Designer and provide guidance; direct and manage photo shoots; and other duties as assigned.
Bachelor of Fine Arts, MFA preferred, in Graphic Design or a closely related field and a minimum of five-seven years of professional marketing and graphic design experience is required. Extensive knowledge of graphic design principles and practices and the different software utilized in graphic design is required. Exceptional familiarity with typography, printing, production and photography is required. Ability to travel for job-related purposes may be required.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and related systems as it pertains to the production of marketing materials and executive presentations;
• Knowledge of graphic techniques, methods and computerized technology used in the printing industry;
• Knowledge of and ability to operate a Macintosh computer to create original design concepts utilizing the following software: Adobe Creative Suite, InDesign, Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop;
• Ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously;
• Ability to produce large volume of quality pieces under tight time constraints;
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work with individuals at all organizational levels;
• Exceptional attention to detail;
• Strong commitment to customer service.
UMass Boston is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity, Title IX Employer. Among the procedures which may be used to select personnel to fill vacant positions are review of work experience, reference checks, and interviews. All appointments and promotions will be effective on a Sunday.
University of Massachusetts Boston - 15 months ago