P OSITION Sr. Industrial Designer
REPORTS TO Manager of Industrial Design
Come work with the most innovative cycling brand in the world! We are looking for a talented Senior Industrial Designer to work with the best talent in the industry. Join the Specialized team and become a key Designer supporting the product design team in developing creative and exciting product solutions for Specialized.
Located in the San Francisco Bay Area near the Santa Cruz Mountains, Specialized is more than just a bike company. We are a company filled with passionate cyclists and outdoor enthusiasts who are dedicated to creating innovative bikes and equipment for every kind of rider. Our daily lunch ride is legendary and heads out every day rain or shine for a 45 minute blast down the local back roads. If road riding isn’t your style, grab your P-bike and crank out a few laps on our pump track behind the office for some berm carving fun. Endless epic road riding possibilities and mountain trails ranging from mild to wild inspire our designers to create the great products Specialized is known for.
This is great opportunity to join a fun, fast paced, and passionate culture and make a significant difference in cycling community with amazing products that cyclists love.
HOW YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE
1. Lead Industrial Design efforts for Product Group.
2. Provide leadership and design guidance for ID interns and junior designers.
3. Assist graphic direction for bikes and equipment.
4. Drive and lead organization and execution of tech specification delivery to Equipment R&D.
5. Construct models for appearance and function.
6. Keep abreast of industrial design and graphic design trends.
7. Frequent visits to bike shops and other sport related events.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED TO WIN
1. BFA or BSID from accredited Industrial Design program
2. 5-8 years Corporate In-House or Consultancy, sporting goods or outdoor industry a plus
3. A Record of leading projects from concept to manufacturing.
4. A Record of successful introduction of products into market
5. Experience working with a collaborative, multi-disciplinary team
6. Created products that were representative of their respective brand
7. Created products that were appropriate for chosen market
8. Worked collaboratively with outside vendors, especially in Asia
9. Experience working within the parameters of an ID working process
1. A passion for cycling.
2. Strong problem solving skills and analytical thinking
3. Fundamental understanding of ergonomics and anthropometrics
4. Research skills and ability to understand different markets and demographics
5. Multi-tasking: Able to simultaneously balance several projects in varying levels of completeness
6. Flexibility: Able to work on projects that may change scope or parameters and still meet deadlines
7. Strong communication through sketching, rendering, ideation and verbal presentation skills
8. ID Model shop skills: quick prototyping, sculpting, and finished appearance models
9. Proficiency in 3D modeling software such as Alias, Rhino, or Solidworks; Pro/E preferred.
10. Knowledge of manufacturing processes such as forging, injection molding, and machining.
11. Ability to create 3D CAD for parts products that are appropriate for chosen manufacturing method
12. Ability to generate product form language that conveys brand essence and is appropriate for specific cycling category
13. Occasional travel to Asia
Specialized Bicycle Components - 11 months ago
Specialized Bicycle Components didn't set out to make a museum piece, but the company's original Stumpjumper (the first...