Thank you for your interest in employment with the Housing Authority of the County of Santa Clara.
Job Code: JS10250
Posting Date: November 5, 2013
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Salary Range: $73,757 - $95,884/Annually DOQ
Under the direction of the Senior Information Technology/Systems Manager, the Senior Information Systems Analyst will have the primary day-to-day responsibility to provide database support and perform a variety of complex duties to partner with and support the users of the software systems used in administering the Section 8 and other affordable housing programs of the Housing Authority (“Agency”). Provide day-to-day lead and technical supervision to lower level IT employee classifications. Review, coordinate and audit work and business process analytics; oversee front-end support, including application level administration and trouble shooting of user and data errors; ensure secure, reliable information systems, determine data parameters and queries to extract information to generate a variety of statistical and financial reports, letters and forms related to the housing programs; prepare or assist in the preparation and updating of user’s manuals and provide user training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
• Oversee a variety of front-end, data support and user support for the software systems used related to the administration of the housing programs, including respond to, monitor, report on and resolve user and/or application errors or issues.
• Provide lead and technical supervision, review, coordinate and audit the work of lower level classifications within the Unit. Under the I.T. Manager’s direction, provide coaching, and training; provide performance assessment and feedback to Manager for consideration in the IT employee performance appraisal.
• Recommend, coordinate and implement upgrades and/or replacement of the housing program software system(s); lead in the planning, testing, execution, and documentation of application fixes, upgrades and new releases; ensure minimal interruption to users’ activities; assist in or perform data migration tasks.
• Interview, analyze and document end user work processes and systems requirements; develop or refine system specifications; oversee the evaluation and testing of vendor software packages for conformance with user requirements and priorities; analyze user requests for information and prepare custom report scripts that ensure accurate data is provided; oversee the maintainance of system database integrity and establish criteria for purging data.
• Maintain data security and information confidentiality in accordance with legal requirements; protect database confidentiality and integrity through access system and user levels of access; and oversee systems administration, maintenance and security.
• Perform fit/gap analyses of housing program system processes and actual work flow; conduct special research projects relating to the systems used in housing programs.
• Determine best practices and application procedures; ensure that change procedures are in place to provide a clearly structured approach to the process of testing and deploying program updates and version upgrades.
• Develop, implement and update systems user’s manual and provide user training; review and ensure adequacy of operating instruction manuals, system documentation, standards and procedures through various means including use of vendors, staff and consultants. Respond to development procedural questions by researching and interpreting applicable policies and regulations; maintain and develop controls by preparing and recommending policies and procedures; and assist in the resolution of problems or issues.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, standards, policies and procedures; initiate any actions necessary to correct deviations.
• Work with the Sr. Information Technology/Systems Manager to review and approve requests and changes to systems to ensure new vendor releases or modifications are appropriate for the agency’s use prior to implementation.
• Develop and present business cases for database system improvements based on the needs of the agency.
BEHAVIORAL COMPETENCIES: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Commitment: Set high standards of performance; pursue aggressive goals and work hard/smart to achieve them; strive for results and success; convey a sense of urgency and bring issues to closure; and persist despite obstacles and opposition.
Customer Service: Exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; identify, understand, monitor and measure the needs of both internal and external customers; talk and act with customers in mind; and recognize working colleagues as customers.
Effective Communication: Ensure important information is passed to those who need to know; convey necessary information clearly and effectively orally or in writing; demonstrate attention to details, and convey understanding of the comments and questions of others; and listen effectively.
Responsiveness and Accountability: Demonstrate a high level of conscientiousness; hold oneself personally responsible for one's own work; and do the required fair share of work.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each competency satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job competencies.
• Strong skills to multi-task and work efficiently in a fast-paced IT environment.
• Must have a sound knowledge and ability in business correspondence and an ability to proofread for grammar, spelling and punctuation with a high degree of accuracy.
• Respond to inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment.
• Strong problem solving skills, and the ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions based on accurate and timely analyses.
• Strong knowledge of development processes and platforms.
• Understanding of software functionality and manage implementation and ongoing operations.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
• Performs other related duties as required.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field; and a minimum of five (5) years experience with project management, requirements management and administration of business database systems directly related to housing voucher programs, including report customization using SQL scripts. Two (2) years experience of supervising or providing lead and technical supervision to lower level staff.
Experience required in the following:
o Operating systems: Microsoft Windows 20xx Server, Windows 7
o Networking: Microsoft Active Directory, Microsoft IIS, TCP/IP, DHCP
o Software: Database systems software used in administering the Section 8 programs, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 2008, Microsoft Office 2007,
Experience preferred in the following:
o Software: Emphasys Elite, Yardi, Microsoft SharePoint 2013, Office 365, Project, Visio.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. The ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals; effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
• Requires the ability to coordinate, manage and/or correlate data.
• May assist with the preparation and administration of the Unit’s.
• Learn new software, and identify and acquire assistance when required.
• Maintain confidentiality.
• Think critically, analyze issues and make rational recommendations. Plan, problem solve, monitor and coordinate activities and ensure compliance with established goals.
• Communicate quickly, effectively, professionally, and precisely in English in written and oral expression.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Outlook and Internet), and must be able to learn other computer programs as required.
• Strong demonstrated computer hardware, software, and networking skills.
• Perform hardware/software installation, troubleshooting, testing and maintenance.
• Demonstrated knowledge of computer hardware and peripherals, software, networking systems, laptops, printer, monitors, digital cameras, scanners, mobile smart phones and tablet devices, including access to domain and email services, and provide training and support to end users.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Must have possession of or the ability to immediately obtain and retain a valid California Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the Agency.
Project Management Professional certification is desirable.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to maintain a stationary position, operate computers and other office equipment, move about the office, attend onsite and offsite meetings, and communicate. The employee must be able to accurately exchange information in person, in writing and via e-mail and telephone.
Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light to moderate weight (5-25 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station.
Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as bright/dim light or repetitive wrist motion.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts or working conditions associated with this job. While this job description is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks are performed when circumstances change. This job description replaces all previous descriptions for this position.
The Housing Agency of the County of Santa Clara (HACSC) is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on religious affiliation, marital status, physical or mental disability, national origin, citizenship, age, race, color, creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic makeup, political or union affiliation, status as a Vietnam-era, disabled or other veteran, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Agency will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to complete the application process please contact the Agency’s Human Resources Unit by either visiting the Agency at 505 West Julian Street, San Jose, California, 95110, or calling (408) 993-2934.