The candidate recruited will serve as a Senior Java Developer in the Information Technology Division. He or she will be working with the team to develop application systems. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to contribute to the evolution of hte system's architecture and technology, as well as the continual improvement of development processes.
The candidate possesses 5+ years of experience designing and building applications with Object-Oriented software development methodologies and practices using JAVA and related technologies.
Minimum Qual Requirements
(1) A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college, including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester credits in computer science or a related computer field and two (2) years of satisfactory full-time software experience in designing, programming, debugging, maintaining, implementing, and enhancing computer software applications, systems programming, systems analysis and design, data communication software, or database design and programming, including one year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
(2) A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and six (6) years of full-time satisfactory software experience as described in “1" above, including one year in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project; or
(3) A satisfactory combination of education and experience that is equivalent to (1) or (2) above. College education may be substituted for up to two years of the required experience in (2) above on the basis that sixty (60) semester credits from an accredited college is equated to one year of experience. A masters degree in computer science or a related computer field may be substituted for one year of the required experience in (1) or (2) above. However, all candidates must have a four year high school diploma or its educational equivalent, plus at least one (1) year of satisfactory full-time software experience in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project.
NOTE: In order to have your experience accepted as Project Leader or Major Contributor experience, you must explain in detail how your experience qualifies you as a project leader or as a major contributor. Experience in computer operations, technical support, quality assurance (QA), hardware installation, help desk, or as an end user will not be accepted for meeting the minimum qualification
To be eligible for placement in Assignment Level IV, in addition to the Qualification Requirements stated above, individuals must have one year of satisfactory experience in a project leader capacity or as a major contributor on a complex project in data administration, database management systems, operating systems, data communications systems, capacity planning, and/or on-line applications programming.
- Coro Java (1.5+); multi-threading, concurrency, annotation, collections, etc.
- Hands-on experience developing in Open Source Java including JSF (MyFaces/Rich Faces, Spring, Hibernate, Jasper), webservices. Experience with an ETL tool such as DataStage or Kettle.
- Relational databases and SQL (DB2 is a must).
- Application servers, namely Websphere and Tomcat.
- XML technologies including DTD/XSD, XPATH, and Object XML mapping.
- Unit testing (JUnit/Mock), Continuous integration, and Agile methodologies.
- Knowledge of and experience with working on common design patterns and industry standards.
- Strong communication, analysis, and problem solving skills.
- Experience in creation of design documents.
- Quick to learn, self-motivated, and enthusiastic.
- Work well within a team environment and with minimal supervision.
- Comfortable working with clearly defined project plans and contributing estimates to the planning process.
- Able to meet and deliver on deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Unix command line and basic scripting.
- Experience with version control systems, preferably SVN.
- Experience in MAVEN.
- Versed in different development methodologies (Iterative, Agile, Scrum etc.).
For City employees: Go to Employee Self-Service (ESS) - www.nyc.gov/ess. Click on Recruiting Activities > Careers and search for Job ID# 111853.
For all other applicants: Go to www.nyc.gov/careers and search for Job ID#111853.
Submission of a resume is not a guarantee that you will receive an interview.
Only those candidates under consideration will be contacted.
75-20 Astoria Boulevard, East Elmhurst, New York 11370
New York City Residency is not required for this position
NYC Careers - 21 months ago