Do you know what makes a good API? A really good HTTP based RESTful Platform APIs that work in a Cloud/SaaS environment? Would you like to be a key player in a team that writes those services and wants to deploy them to production in *minutes*, not days, weeks, or months? If so, we’re looking for you. We are looking for talented Sr. Software Engineers who can work within a high power team to make it even better.
A person interested in this job should be technically smart, communicate well in a team, and want to learn more. Here's some sample things that we think about (and that we'll probably discuss with you in a phone screen or interview)...
- Coding in Java (including internals!): e.g. is “final” really final? And why?
- Why is it bad to return a HashMap( ) from an API call? And why?
- In REST: When should one use PUT vs. POST? And why?
- What are the differences between writing applications for enterprise and writing services for cloud/SaaS: e.g. why is it OK to return an approximation of the number of results when doing a search? And why?
- How do you write a function in Java that will set a value and return the previous value? Yeah, that's easy...Now do that without using a temporary variable?
- What makes a high power team tick? How can you make a good team really great?
- Solid OO, HA, Concurrent coding skills in Java (C++ may be OK if you’re willing to learn Java)
- BSCS or equivalent (MSCS preferred)
- Burning desire to learn and teach new things with a high powered team
- Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of cloud based services such as Hadoop, Cassandra, memcached
- Scrum/Agile development methodology a plus
- Excellent communication skills - written and verbal
- Oh, and be prepared to talk about those questions.
Proofpoint - 17 months ago