We are currently looking for a talented Senior Magazine Editor to join our flagship medical journal, PLOS Medicine. This position will be based in either the PLOS San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, UK office with regular travel to team meetings, and is available from September 2013.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. The successful candidate
is responsible for the overall oversight of the PLOS Medicine magazine section, and for the day-to-day running and coordination of the section.
PLOS Medicine is the leading open-access medical journal, and is an influential venue for outstanding research and commentary on the major challenges to human health worldwide. It prioritizes for publication articles that address conditions or risk factors that cause the greatest losses in years of healthy life and quality of life worldwide and publishes articles that use many different methodologies, from basic science to systematic reviews. Additionally, PLOS Medicine publishes articles on topics relating to the integrity and ethics of the research enterprise, the practice of medicine, and the application of research to practice.
PLOS Medicine is part of the medicine journals group at PLOS, along with PLOS Pathogens and PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Medical or related clinical degree followed by postgraduate training.
- Substantial, senior-level experience in editing at a general medical or relevant specialist medical journal.
- Experience in developing and implementing journal policies.
- Good understanding of medical publishing and a commitment to open access.
- Experience in social media in relation to medical publishing.
- Experience in medical journalism is greatly preferred.
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) - 19 months ago