The purpose of this job is to build and sustain community support for the Food Bank For New York City’s public policy initiatives by educating, motivating and empowering Food Bank For New York City member organizations and other stakeholders, including faith- and community-based organizations across the city. The Senior Manager of Community Mobilization will manage the implementation of campaigns for educating and organizing stakeholders (including affected community members) around food and nutrition issues, particularly about maximizing access to federal, state and local food supports. Working within a fast-paced environment, this position requires an individual with a strong interest in food, nutrition and poverty issues, and the experience and ability to work and communicate with a variety of audiences.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute outreach and organizing plans specific to policy initiatives, including identification of target communities, locally based groups and existing community organizing networks;
- Train and develop the capacity of member organizations to engage in advocacy;
- Network with member agencies and other stakeholders to maintain and expand collaborative relationships;
- Convene grassroots-level meetings and build coalitions among organizations, including faith- and community-based networks;
- Collaborate on the development of relevant public education materials for targeted audiences;
- Develop and maintain relationships with consultants, government partners and others as needed;
- Work with Research & Evaluation staff to evaluate impact and success of outreach and organizing efforts;
- Meet relevant performance metrics and benchmarks;
- Supervise any assigned staff; and
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- BA/BS required;
- Minimum five years progressively responsible experience in community organizing and/or issue-based campaigns, preferably in low-income, minority and/or immigrant communities;
- A strong interest in food, nutrition and poverty issues, and the experience and ability to work and communicate with a variety of audiences;
- Familiarity with nutrition and food systems issues, including federal, state and local food supports preferred;
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, with a demonstrated aptitude for project management;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience with public speaking;
- Ability to establish priorities and a course of action for handling multiple tasks;
- Ability to work independently and coordinate work of others;
- Ability to attend evening/weekend meetings and events, as needed;
- Fluency or strong proficiency in verbal and written Spanish desirable;
- Proficiency in MS Office applications is crucial.
Feeding America - 15 months ago