The Senior Managing Director of Community Engagement will lead our efforts to build more purposeful, authentic, and impactful relationships with the Houston community, including school districts, charter systems, civic groups, grassroots organizations, and Teach For America alumni, in order to better facilitate the overarching goal of educational equity for Houston students. The Senior Managing Director of Community Engagement will report directly to and work closely with the Executive Director on setting and executing high level community engagement strategy. The individual incumbent in this role will manage a team, oversee a portfolio of influential external relationships, and work to catalyze a movement of champions, including alumni, district partners, and community leaders to ensure that Teach For America becomes a critical lever in Houston’s education landscape.
To be successful, the Senior Managing Director of Community Engagement must be a critical thinker who is able to set a bold engagement and team vision that aligns with the overall regional vision, develop strategies and an operating plan to achieve this vision, and then skillfully manage team execution to achieve results. This individual must be comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, possess a high level of personal responsibility for achieving ambitious results, and operate with Teach For America’s core values – team, respect & humility, diversity, transformational change, and leadership – front of mind.
The same entrepreneurial spirit that made Houston the world’s energy capital is behind the efforts to increase educational opportunities for Houston students. For more than 20 years, Teach For America has been a part of that work. Today, our 450 corps members teach 40,000 Houston students. Our 1,000 area alumni work in all sectors to create lasting change. Teach For America – Houston’s Community Engagement team is charged with building purposeful relationships with educational and civic leaders as well as the Teach For America alumni network in Houston in order to meaningfully advance the region’s work of ensuring all students have the opportunity to attain an excellent education.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Engaging and Cultivating District, School, & Community Stakeholders
Engaging, Cultivating, and Supporting the Development of Alumni Stakeholders
- Building critical relationships with school district and charter system leaders to ensure Teach For America becomes part of the social and educational fabric of the city
- Developing and managing the execution of systems for investing community leaders, others in the education space, parents and families in our work and seeking opportunities for synergies across the landscape
- Cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of educational and community leaders through external meetings, events, and correspondence
Strategic Planning and Goal Setting
- Cultivating a portfolio of alumni leaders through external meetings, events, and correspondence
- Identifying opportunities for alumni engagement in the Houston community, educationally and otherwise
- Directing the creation of alumni support mechanisms aimed at growing alumni as effective school leaders
- Managing the development of a model for funneling alumni into high-priority leadership positions throughout the city
Maintaining a High Performing Team
- Designing an operational plan for relationship-building and partnership for Houston’s highest needs communities including community-specific vision, priorities, goals, benchmarks, and key actions
- Developing a strategy to increase knowledge and support of Teach For America’s mission among school administrators, civic leaders, and community members
- Building future regional impact strategy by analyzing school and community demand for corps members and alumni, mitigating risks that could diminish demand, and leveraging opportunities to increase it
- Working closely with the executive director to create and execute the regional strategic and operating plans, ensuring the region maximizes opportunities and meets its cultivation and placement goals
- Serving on the Houston Leadership team to set direction for our organization’s presence in Houston
Candidate Profile and Experience
- Managing a team of six full-time staff members to progress toward goals to ensure Houston’s community engagement efforts are tightly executed and highly effective
- Regularly assessing team-wide progress to goals by identifying what is driving and impeding progress, developing solutions to address gaps, and adjusting course as necessary
- Assembling, coaching, and evaluating team members to allow direct reports to maximize their individual potential as organizational leaders
- Stewarding a strong culture based on our core values and reflective of our commitment to diversity and inclusiveness
- 7+ years of professional experience
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Prior experience working in schools and building relationships with educational leaders
- Management experience preferred
- Exceptional analytic and strategic thinking skills
- Ability to set a clear and ambitious vision and galvanize team (including external audiences) to execute and reach ambitious goals in support of that vision
- Demonstrated success in navigating and solving complex situations and broad projects
- Desire to understand human dynamics and networks across multiple layers and lines of difference
- Uncommon level of personal responsibility with exceptional goal-orientation
- Experience using data to inform decisions and strategy
- Ability to build strong internal and external relationships
- Ability to urge team members to be bold and feel supported when taking risks
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Benefits and Salary
- To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please scroll down to the bottom of this page to find the link to the online application.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included.
Anti-Discrimination Policy and Commitment to Diversity
Teach For America seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
Teach For America - 13 months ago
All kids—no matter where they live, how much money their parents make, or what their skin color is – deserve access to a great...