Are you ready to change the future? You have the opportunity to join the company that helped establish solar markets around the world and continues to innovate in the renewable energy space. SunPower has facilities in the US, Europe and Asia, and we are seeking talented people to join us in building a clean energy future.
Widely recognized as the world’s standard for solar, SunPower produces the world’s highest efficiency solar products. Our quality and reliability standards far exceed those of any other company in the industry.
SunPower and Total, the global energy producer and provider, have announced a transformational investment by Total in SunPower. The companies have signed a set of strategic agreements to accelerate SunPower’s growth in the increasingly competitive solar sector. Total’s investment is based on SunPower’s leading position in designing, manufacturing and delivering the world’s highest efficiency, highest reliability solar systems with guaranteed performance. These agreements will accelerate SunPower’s growth and further improve its financial strength.
SunPower is committed to the success of our company, our employees and the communities around the world that need us most. We support our employees’ commitment to their communities through a culture of volunteerism, and through The SunPower Foundation, which makes grants to green initiatives throughout the world. As a company, we operate with the highest sustainability standards.
In an industry that is reshaping the world’s energy future, there’s no better place to be than SunPower.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
SunPower is seeking a Materials Engineer to drive materials design, evaluation and innovation for the San Jose based Products Group. The Materials Engineer reports to the CPV Receiver Development Manager and will be responsible for designing and evaluating new Photovoltaic receivers. They will be responsible for working with vendors, performing experiments, and gathering, analyzing and presenting results.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following (other duties may be assigned):
• Develop, test, qualify and support introduction to manufacturing of next generation PV module components for increased performance and reliability.
• Develop testing and qualification protocols, material specification and in-process control for new materials in modules.
• Develop and perform modeling of stresses in modules and derive critical material properties as related to reliability of the modules.
• Work closely with reliability to develop degradation acceleration factors for new materials.
• Work closely with manufacturing and New Product Introduction to understand root cause and implications of problems in production.
• Develop new cutting-edge diagnostic and testing protocols to support module materials development in R&D Laboratory and Manufacturing.
• Lead the development and purchasing of new tools for material characterization and testing.
RELATED EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Minimum requirements - The least amount of skills and training candidates must have to do a specific job. Candidates not meeting these requirements will not be hired for this position.
- B.S. or Masters in Polymers, Chemistry, Material Science, Physics or related fields. Or 4+ years of experience in a highly relevant industry.
- Hands on work experience in lab environment; able to set up and execute experiments with minimal guidance
- Excellent communication skills, self-driven, and able to drive projects to timely completion by working with multiple teams.
- Excellent problem solving and collaboration skills.
- Drive to work in a fast paced environment with minimal guidance.
• Experience in Photovoltaics, Semiconductor, and/or reliability field desired.
• Knowledge of polymer chemistry, formulations and failure mechanisms as it relates to 25 years reliability and warranty of PV modules in various field conditions.
• Experience with electrical and optical characterization of solar cells and modules desired.
• Experience with developing and reliability testing of encapsulants/backsheets/coatings desired.
• Knowledge of materials (eg. encapsulant, backsheet, glass) characterization and failure analysis techniques desired.
• Knowledge of statistical analysis of data (eg. JMP), Design of Experiments, and Labview desired.
OTHER PERTINENT INFORMATION (optional)
• Domestic and International Travel up to 30% of the time.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is SunPower’s policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees. SunPower disapproves of, and will not tolerate, unlawful discrimination against any applicant or employee because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), gender identity, age, religion, disability, family care status, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by local, state or federal laws. *LI-JM
SunPower Corporation - 19 months ago