The Senior Product Development Engineer is responsible for the design, re-design and development of cutting edge Fitness Strength products for commercial gyms. The products consist of free weights, selectorized machines, benches, racks and plate loaded lifting systems. This role will participate in a cross-functional team which includes Product Development, Manufacturing, Quality, Purchasing, and Marketing to design, develop, and test these strength products. The incumbent is expected to develop mechanical component and technology strategies for these new products.
SCOPE OF POSITION
Designs new products and makes improvements to existing products. May evaluate products, parts, or processes for cost efficiency and reliability and ensure project completion. Works with other members of the engineering and operations staff to ensure that products are developed to meet all performance and quality standards in a timely manner. Familiar with a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures. Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Performs a variety of tasks. A wide degree of creativity and latitude is required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
New Product Development:
- Actively pursues continuous improvement and ease of doing business to meet or exceed customer needs.
- Develops procedures and processes that lead to reliable designs.
- Understands and uses the philosophy and tools of total quality, lean manufacturing, and design for manufacturability.
- Researches and develops core technologies required by Precor to sustain or improve its competitive lead.
- Designs, develops, analyzes and documents product designs which meet the functional, cost, reliability, manufacturability and safety requirements of Precor.
- Acquires and applies skills necessary to design, develop and introduce new products with the greatest possible design margins and in the shortest amount of time.
- Identifies, quantifies, and implements tools, methods, processes and equipment which improve the quality, reliability and productivity of the department.
- Effectively communicates information to co-workers, customers and suppliers which they require to do their jobs. This communication must be objective and accomplished in a neutral to positive manner.
- Serves as a project team member throughout the New Product Introduction process, responsible for meeting project and product goals.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Advanced degree highly desirable.
- Minimum 5 years of product design/engineering experience, including the use of standard mechanical engineering analysis and software (i.e. FEA, kinematics and tolerance analysis).
- Experience in design for manufacturability and assembly.
- Experience with the design and manufacture of plastic molded parts.
- Experience with the design and manufacture of sheet metal, bent tube and welded components
TRAVEL: Potential for International Travel 1-2 times per year.
- Ability to analyze components and assemblies for static and fatigue strength to meet design goals.
- Ability to use Solidworks or similar CAD systems for design and documentation.
- Ability to identify, quantify, and permanently resolve problems.
- Ability to handle simultaneous tasks in an environment which can be stressful at times.
- Ability to use Windows based PC's and standard software applications including Excel and Word.
- Ability to positively communicate with customers (internal and external), to address their needs promptly and to follow through on commitments.
Regularly working in office and manufacturing environments to accomplish stated work objectives.
Light physical effort in an office environment. Some lifting of parts / products may be required in the manufacturing areas. Ability to lift up to 40 lbs.
Keyword: mechanical, design, development, solidworks, engineering.
From: Precor Inc.
Precor Inc. - 11 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Founded in 1980, Precor is headquartered northeast of Seattle in Woodinville, Wash., with international offices in the United Kingdom,...