The Senior Mechanical Designer is responsible to creatively solve design issues that affect either the aesthetics and/or manufacturing goals for a product during development stage.
The SMD accomplishes this by working in CAD (PTC Creo) with the data provided by BISSELL Consumer Design and Product Engineering. The SMD should work closely with the Industrial Designer who will give input on aesthetics and/or ideation for craftsmanship resolutions, to inject engineering robustness while maintaining the design intent. They must be an expert in advanced surfacing techniques.
POSITION PROFILE: (Major duties, accountabilities, and responsibilities)
* The Senior Mechanical Designer will be the connect point between Industrial Design and Product Development Engineering. Their mission will be to connect the aesthetic requirements to the engineering constraints.
* The SMD will need to collaboratively work with both the Industrial Designer to create feasible themes and the Product Engineering team to solve the technical feasibility problems that certain aesthetic designs create.
* The SMD will often be required to investigate simultaneous alternative designs, looking for feasible solutions to problems that are both creative and sound from an engineering point of view.
* Provides technical assistance, guidance and training as needed, regarding best practices
* Acts as a mentor to other mechanical designers
* Lead CAD Mechanical Designer responsibilities on GPD projects including supervising the work of other mechanical designers and responsible for data quality and integrity
REQUIRED CORE COMPETENCIES for PROFESSIONAL/TECHNICAL JOB FAMILY:
Global strategic thinking and implementation Continuous Improvement
Oral and written communication with impact Manage/contribute to multiple dynamic priorities
Professional expertise Actively seek and share information
Interpersonal/collaborative skills Initiative
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE/EDUCATION: (i.e. degree, years of experience, etc.)
* Bachelors degree in Engineering or related field and 10-15 years of experience
* Associates/Technical Degree with 15-20 years consumer product design experience
SPECIALIZED TRAINING OR SKILLS REQUIRED:
* Advanced proficiency in currently utilized CAD technology
* Advanced proficiency in data file management techniques in currently utilized CAD technology
* Advanced knowledge of manufacturing and assembly process particularly in plastic injection and blow molding
* Ability to apply advanced design knowledge in the development and modification of components/assemblies
* Ability to use judgment when data is limited
* Ability to anticipate problems and formulate contingency plans
* Exceptional systematic problem solving skills
* Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and written
* Strong organizational skills
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled