The Senior Mechanical Engineer will be intimately involved in the product development process and will independently conceptualize, evaluate ideas and create detail designs by combining art, science and technology to create cost effective tangible lighting products. This position will appeal to a high energy problem solver who wants to make a difference working for an entrepreneurial brand of a larger corporation that is committed to customer satisfaction and profitable growth in an expanding marketplace.
- Independently conceptualizes and produces detailed mechanical product designs for luminaire, accessories and components with a focus on LED luminaire.
- Create and maintain documentation to support the production and testing of the product. Documentation to include detail part drawings, manufacturing instructions, installation instructions, patent work and product safety (UL, CSA, etc.) testing.
- Conduct thermal analyses and tests of LED products to support product design using CFD Flow Analysis
- Develops cost estimates as required throughout the design process and identifies and evaluates cost saving alternatives to guide product development.
- Directs and participates in producing and updating Bills of Material for designs and tracks deliveries to ensure schedules are met.
- Coordinates with in-house and contract resources to develop quick turn prototypes for product testing and evaluation.
- Interfaces with customers and vendors, as well as P2 leadership team to ensure that the product design meets the aesthetics, ergonomics and functional expectations.
- Function as a liaison between New Product Development and Production to support the transition of products into the manufacturing environment.
- Performs sustaining engineering in support of current designs in production.
- Produces images and artwork for catalogs, market materials and packaging.
- Prepares for and participates in design reviews.
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering is needed, 10 (+) years of product design and manufacturing experience, with solid state lighting design experience preferred.
- An in depth knowledge of manufacturing processes related to sheet metal fabrication, machining, castings, injection molding and extrusions for metals and plastic materials.
- Experience in thermal modeling with a focus on electronics packaging.
- Experience in solid state lighting product design and retrofitting a plus.
- Experience in optical design a plus.
- Knowledgeable in Inventor, Solidworks or other parametric modeling software and AutoCad.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities needed include:
- Effective verbal and written communication skills that clearly convey information and ideas. Ability to communicate in such a way to influence peers and management, as well as communicate well cross-functionally in a professional manner.
- Ability to use Word, Excel and Microsoft Project software programs, to a level of professional proficiency. Able to produce professional Engineering reports including introductions, conclusions and recommendations.
- Ability to analyze and resolve technical problems of a complex nature quickly and independently.
- Ability to manage technical design from concept to validation.
- The candidate must be a person who aligns with our vision, mission and values. Key values we subscribe to which include honesty, loyalty, open, results orientated, strong work ethic and a willingness to do whatever it takes to serve both internal and external customers.
- Subscribe to the need for quality design and its impact on manufacturing efficiencies.
- Willingness to learn new things and likes to teach others.
- Understands how to get a job done on schedule and within budget while maintaining flexibility to change directions based on the priorities of the business.
- This position has limited travel. The amount of travel will be less than 5%.
EEO AA: M/F/D/V
Hubbell Incorporated - 19 months ago
Hubbell Incorporated is an international manufacturer of quality electrical and electronic products for a broad range of non-residential and...